Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced battery and cables. Alternator had a blown rectifier which was fixed. Replaced spark plug wires and those boots. Plugs were recently put in new. Car still won't run right. Kind of like not enough power at low end and under load(AC) runs real rough. Once you get moving into upper RPMs its ok. With AC off it seems to be better. Doesn't want to accelerate until upper RPMs. When in park and idling there is a slight miss at first when you rev it. When put it into gear it really starts acting up. There are no CEL codes. It's the V6 automatic. Been at this for two weeks and can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,090 Posts
rpm at idle should be 700+/-50 in N gear, no accessories in use. is it any different at idle?

get into Factory Service Manual for camry gen4 and start checking all circuits as per SFI.
www.camrystuff.com

it would also be nice if you got yourself an OBD2 scanner (e.g. cheap PC-USB cable with some software off ebay) installed on a Windows laptop. it should allow you to see all/most sensor readings including fuel trims, oxygen sensor voltages, engine speed and load, TPS, ECT, IAT etc.

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
it would also be nice if you got yourself an OBD2 scanner (e.g. cheap PC-USB cable with some software off ebay) installed on a Windows laptop. it should allow you to see all/most sensor readings including fuel trims, oxygen sensor voltages, engine speed and load, TPS, ECT, IAT etc.
could you tell us "how to make usb to obd ii cable"?
I can not find any of them in my country.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,090 Posts
could you tell us "how to make usb to obd ii cable"?
I can not find any of them in my country.
I got mine very cheap off HK ebay, it comes with some various trial software on a CD.

They are not so easy to make, as you need a chipset (e.g. above uses FTDI chipset, forgot the model) for translating USB serial signal to COM serial signals and vice versa.
That ebay seller sells his cables worldwide, so my suggestion would be to get it from him, it works for almost everybody, just $23 total.

This is what I use (hardware):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-...Z220405259133QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
$23 shipped to USA
It works best with Windows XP (32-bit) on any laptop/netbook equipped with at least 1 free USB port ;)
Vista and Windows 7 can cause some compatibility issues in terms of drivers for the cable interface. Software should work regardless.

For more advanced monitoring I use software of either DigiMoto V (friend borrowed me a full license), but it sucks in most cases and crashes often or I use ScanMaster-ELM - a much better piece of software.

For simple things (basic info on sensors, emissions readiness, reading and clearing trouble codes) there is a few freeware programs like wOBD from obd2crazy:
http://www.obd2crazy.com/software.html

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
thanks for your good information.
one more thing since i bought this car i have never connected any OBD II to it,what is the benefit of that?is it only for emission or fuel economy?
can i use it for electrical problem?(like AC)
can i connect use this cable for other car with obd II?

·
Camry Expert/MR2 JR Xpert
MR2 & 96 V6 Cam
1,201 Posts
one more thing since i bought this car i have never connected any OBD II to it,what is the benefit of that?is it only for emission or fuel economy?

I would asume so as long as you have the ability to through the software you get. I know that I have an $3k SnapOn OBDII reader at my job and we have different chipset keys for different applications. So for mine it depends what make the car is and you insert whichever chipset key is appropriate.

As long as the cable/software isnt proprietary to Toyotas or Camrys then you should be able to choose the vehicle year/make/model and go from there.

This is just an assumption...

Reactions: AliRazoR

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,090 Posts
obd2 standard allows reading and clearing trouble codes (including the pending ones that you can't see are there), checking emissions monitors readiness and what's best you can monitor live engine/systems operations, this is a sample from ScanMaster, very helpful in tuning:

these are other help full things (code reading and emissions status):

it works on EVERY car compliant with OBD2 (in US since '96, in Europe since '01).

more info on codes here:
http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota/

or check camry gen4 Diagnostics manual from:
www.camrystuff.com

this is no really good for electrical troubleshooting on anything, that needs to be done manually with a multimeter still ;)
... but if there is a code you can read then it may be helpful :)

·
Registered
Camry 1996 V6 LE
1,128 Posts
fenixus;3322574 This is what I use (hardware): [IMG said:
http://rover.ebay.com/ar/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?mpt=1578707666&adtype=1&size=1x1&type=3&campid=5336116672&toolid=10001[/IMG] http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Scanner-AUTO-Scan-Tool-CAN-BUS-OBD2-OBD-USB-V1-3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem33512d5b7dQQitemZ220405259133QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
$23 shipped to USA
It works best with Windows XP (32-bit) on any laptop/netbook equipped with at least 1 free USB port ;)
Vista and Windows 7 can cause some compatibility issues in terms of drivers for the cable interface.
This one works on Windows 7 for sure (I use it):
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-5V-USB-CAN-BU...901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2309bd2835

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,090 Posts
nice find! they seem to be pretty much same (same protocol RS232), box looks different, but rest should be smiliar (ELM327 clone).

I haven't tested mine under x64 bit operating systems (like Vista or 7). added that warning more like a caution notice, but I haven't tested it in fact on anything else besides win xp (32-bit) as this is what i've got on my little netbook.

wondering why yours say it doesn't work on camry 2002 ? do they mean both 4cyl and 6cyl models ? were those models both electronic throttle things (initial implementations) ?

my solara 2002 (6cyl) is still 1mz-fe, so it's more like 2001 camry, just body is re-designed (minor upgrades over 99-01 solara).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car finally posted some codes and they are p300 and p301. So it's a misfire in cylinder one, right? I find this strange that it all started when my alternator burned out.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,090 Posts
My car finally posted some codes and they are p300 and p301. So it's a misfire in cylinder one, right? I find this strange that it all started when my alternator burned out.
Your codes mean that you have a random misfire happening on all cylinders, but most often on cylinder# 1, the rest might be pending though.

common problems from top of my head (there is more i'm sure):
-vacuum leak, e.g. around fuel injector grommet
-fuel delivery (old and clogged filter? dirty injectors ?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I moved the coil pack that controls number 1 cylinder to a different bank and reset the codes to see if I get a misfire code on the other bank. The car is idling much differrently now, with a brand new miss. However, it runs much stronger than it did before. Just waiting for the code to pop up now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I had been thinking about the raw fuel getting past the miss and burning out the cat. I think I'll just do it this way. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. I tried the spark plug wire test, and all it did was make it worse. So I just replaced the coil pack and it fixed it. I guess the old coil pack was working somewhat and thats why the balance test didn't really show which one it was. So from what I can gather, the alternator blew out which then messed up the coil pack to a degree. I have rebuilt and fixed older cars without a problem but these new computer ones definitely throw me off a bit. Once again thanks for all the replies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts