Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ijust got a 2000 toyota solara with the 3mzfe in it when i got it the timing was off ive rest the timing and now it will staet and run for about 5 sec then dies and wont start back for a while it has spark and fuel.how can i tell if i have the timing right and not 180 off. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
After it stalls and won't start, spray starter fluid into intake and see if it fires. If so you don't have fuel - at least after 5 minutes.

If no fuel then could be plugged fuel filter or pump sock.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I checked for spark and it getting spark and fuel
What is needed for engine to run:

spark, fuel, compression, timing, air, no large vacuum leaks (too much air).

If engine has an EGR valve and the valve is not closing it will create a large vacuum leak that will cause the engine to stall.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This sounds really bad... how much was the timing off by? Can you check the compression? Wondering if the valves got damaged...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Was this engine a replacement engine for this Solara? I ask because the first generation Solara (1998–2003) came with a 2.2L 5S-FE I4, 2.4L 2AZ-FE I4, or a 3.0L 1MZ-FE V6. The 3MZ-FE wasn't an option for the Solara until 2004.

·
Official PITA
496 Posts
Someone asked if security light went out when key placed in ignition.
In many cars, if not correct electronic key, car will start, then die in a few seconds.
<<<<< Shrug >>>>>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
Azazel
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing