Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 tacoma, with 220,000 miles on it.. bone stock.. it runs great but i started putting some mods on it (small lift, rims, tires) i want to put some engine mods to help hauls the heavier wheels(intake, exhaust, throttle body spacer) but im afraid after it being stock for almost 20 years if that could have a negative impact on the motor.

Just wondering if modding it after so long of it being stock could lead to other issues..

Any info would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,734 Posts
I have a 2000 tacoma, with 220,000 miles on it.. bone stock.. it runs great but i started putting some mods on it (small lift, rims, tires) i want to put some engine mods to help hauls the heavier wheels(intake, exhaust, throttle body spacer) but im afraid after it being stock for almost 20 years if that could have a negative impact on the motor.

Just wondering if modding it after so long of it being stock could lead to other issues..

Any info would be appreciated!
I doubt the things you mention would have a negative effect on the engine but at the same time I find it as doubtful you'll see any improvement.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,559 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

Which engine do you have? 2WD or 4WD? Auto or manual transmission? ;)

As long as the motor is in good condition, it should be fine. I would baseline the numbers (compression fer a start) on the engine so you know where the condition of the engine sits. Have you performed a standard tune up on the engine? Spark plugs, wires, coil boots, PCV valve, throttle body cleaning, idle air control (IAC) valve cleaning, valve cover gasket replacement, timing belt inspection/replacement, water pump inspection/replacement, etc. ;)

I would venture to guess that the cold air intake, throttle body spacer, and exhaust mods probably won't make that much of a performance difference but it is yer money to experiment with. ;)

·
Taco lover
'98 Tacoma - RIP!
187 Posts
The first thing to do is run a compression test. Pending the test results, the TRD supercharger is a fantastic upgrade. The performance difference is immediate and substantial, and makes the Tacoma a pleasure to drive.

Equally important is the health of the automatic transmission. If the radiator is still original at 220k, you're already on borrowed time. The problem occurs as a failure of the trans cooling area of the radiator failing, mixing coolant with trans fluid. You really don't want a "pink milkshake"; the transmission will be junk.

Oh, and lower ball joints. History of failure, and the results are ugly.

All that said, I love 1st gen Tacomas and 3rd gen 4Runners!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The first thing to do is run a compression test. Pending the test results, the TRD supercharger is a fantastic upgrade. The performance difference is immediate and substantial, and makes the Tacoma a pleasure to drive.

Equally important is the health of the automatic transmission. If the radiator is still original at 220k, you're already on borrowed time. The problem occurs as a failure of the trans cooling area of the radiator failing, mixing coolant with trans fluid. You really don't want a "pink milkshake"; the transmission will be junk.

Oh, and lower ball joints. History of failure, and the results are ugly.

All that said, I love 1st gen Tacomas and 3rd gen 4Runners!

I found out about the ball joints the hard way...mine happened at 230k, though I do also abuse mine off-road pretty severely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts