Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Yeah, it's a stock 302
83 Mustang GLX
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Posting this for a buddy

I just tried to move my sister's 00 Tacoma from the street where it was parked onto the driveway but as I tried to start it up, the engine just kinda struggled to fire up and I tried about 5 times but nothing...battery seems fine, headlights/radio everything electrical seemed to work and I don't think it's the starter since it actually started cranking up but wouldn't fire up all the way but I dunno...plus there was a loud very fast rattling, clicking sound also coming from the engine when I tried to turn the the car on...any suggestions?
He tried jumping it and tried charging the battery to see if it lost some of the charge. He said all the fuses are fine, and I'm clueless. I told him to tap the starter with a hammer, no clue if he tried it yet.

He said it's been running "weakly" for the last few months. Said it cranks really slowly.

Any help would be appreciated

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
The starter may be shot or at least the starter contacts are. That's what happend to mine about a year ago.

·
Topofdawurld
99 tacoma
2 Posts
Check out this page. http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/ My Starter began to go bad and i found this link. I am by no means a mechanic but this was so easy it encouraged me to take the rest of my maintenence into my own hands. The hardest part is getting the starter out. After that it took me about 5 min. to rebuild the starter itself.

Make sure you know exactly which starter your truck has. Apparently like 1% of Tacomas have a cold weather starter which requires different contacts. The dealership where I bought the contacts failed to mention that and when I finally had my truck apart and the starter out i realized that i was part of that 1%. What a pain.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts