Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i just recently swaped in my automatic transmission due to a transmission pump failure. I re-installed the tranny and I started the engine for 5 second to see if it would start. this tranny had very little oil. I replaced the gasket and filter for it and added 6 1/2 quarts of oil. oil started spewing out from this small port. Now when i shift into D OR R it doesn't turn the axles. I also discovered a 3 pin conector is not connected. I am lost. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
This small port? 3-pin connector not connected? Can you post some pictures?

Was the 3-pin connector connected before you removed the transmission prior to the rebuild?

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
On the I4_A140 transaxle, the FSM dry fill specification is 5.9 US quarts.
Could you have overfilled with transmission fluid, if you put in 6.5 quarts?
Drain and refill is listed as 2.6 quarts.

Don't really know what electrical connection you are talking about.

Can you post a snapshot or two?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The 3 pin connector was for the cruise control module, and i took out 4 quarts leaving it with about 2.5 quarts and still no turning in the axles. and just to put it out there, i have the front of the car up on jack stands so its on a incline, but would that effect anything such as not level for the oil to flow through the tranny"? also even when i shift the tranny manually there is no sign of the transmission engaging.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Assume your shift cable is attached properly and properly adjusted? Do your shift indicator lights show the proper gear for the shifter position?

·
イリジウム
13,585 Posts
Did you fill the differential with about 1.7 qts? Is the torque converter corrected engaged? If you add a clear PVC tube (3/8" ID) in place of one of the cooler hoses by the radiator, do you see fluid movement?

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
Not really familiar with this installation ... just reading from the FSM.

The FSM gives a specification for the torque converter to be 13.0 mm ... or 1/2" ... or more from the front of the transmission case plane ... where it bolts on to the engine. The diagram shows a straight edge placed across the width of the front of the transmission case, and then there is a ruler that is measuring how far back the torque converter is placed.

About where was the torque converter when you bolted it up to the engine?
If it was too far forward, maybe something didn't engage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not familiar where to add fluid to the diff, will it get fluid through the dipstick inlet? and my shift cable lights are showing the proper shifting poin ts. and the converter was about a half inch approximately in the bell housing. im not sure if the converter slipped out of place when pushing back the transmission against the engine. also i has to turn the converter with a pry bar to line up the holes for the converter bolts. the converter was right against the flex plate rubbing against each other and it was very hard turning the both of them so im guessing the converter is out of adjustment?

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
The differential case is separate from the transmission case. The fill hole for the differential case is a threaded plug ... located several inches up from the drain hole. Easy to spot if you look for it ... You have to get a funnel and some tubing to be able to fill it.

I would say that chances are, if you did not fill the differential, it does not have any fluid in it.
You just fill it until the fluid starts to come out of the hole. ... Don't know how that would work if the front of the car is not on the ground.

Can't really say anything about the torque converter position. Maybe just try to fill the differential, and see whether it starts working.

Did you install the torque converter? It seems like you are supposed to lube the torque converter shaft with ATF fluid before you put it in.

I think I would try to fill the differential case, replace the plug, and try to run it one more time ... considering all the work you have done up to this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts