Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Car Newbie/Enthusiast!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am trying to raise the idle on my 2000 Toyota Camry V4.

Every time I try adjusting it turning the screw the idle will adjust to go higher but whenever I drive the car the idle goes back low even though the screw is tightened. Is there something I am doing wrong here? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
13,092 Posts
Yes. The idle RPM is not adjustable. It is controlled by the ECU which monitors RPM and adjusts it to keep it at 750 by adjusting the IACV (idle air control valve) to allow more/less air in.

·
Super Moderator
13,092 Posts
I’m guessing it idles too low?... sometimes stalling? Best thing to do is remove the IACV and disassemble it for cleaning. Here’s a DIY covering that.

Next best thing is to squirt some throttle body cleaner into the IACV’s port in the throat of the throttle body. Sometimes it works... for a while.

·
Car Newbie/Enthusiast!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already tried that, still stalling :-(. Only stall when idle goes very low though so i figured this might be a quick bandaid that can give me another few weeks with it running to figure it out!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Short term, you can spray some sea foam or simliar in through the throttle body to clean it and remove the electrical connection on the IAC valve. This will give you access to the valve to try turning it and freeing it up if it’s stuck.

·
7,291 Posts
Yeah, I rigged pintle valves on several engines the way you did. It should work, you should mechanically keep plate open keeping higher RPM. Not sure why it does not work in your case, it should. Plate just won't close shut.

·
Super Moderator
13,092 Posts
Thinking about this more...

I think if you adjust that throttle stop screw far enough, eventually the IACV will not be able to close anymore, so it'll be effectively overridden. That might cause other problems, not sure. Perhaps inappropriately high idle RPM at some times?

The intent of that stop-screw is to keep the throttle butterfly from jamming when fully closed. So from the factory, it holds it open just enough to do that.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,385 Posts
The intent of that stop-screw is to keep the throttle butterfly from jamming when fully closed. So from the factory, it holds it open just enough to do that.
I have never adjusted any screws on the TB because of the chance of the butterfly cutting a groove in the in it thus ruining it. Toyota put that drop of yellow paint on the screws for a reason.
W95c

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,799 Posts
You need to clean the IACV. I had this issue with a friend 1997 from idling too low. I tried to do the easy way of just spraying cleaner down the IACV...it then starting to idle too high. I manager to do an inplace cleaning for the IACV though. With the bottom hose disconnected to the IAC (theres 3, disconnect the non-coolant one, center one IIRC), you can use your finger to cover it so when you spray fluid in the IACV, it'll be in the housing. With the IACV partially disconnected, you can move the the valve in the IACV to 'clean' it. Once you do that a few time, release your finger on the bottom line to let the cleaner drain out.

You can take apart the IACV and bench clean it, but you'll need to replace the frog like shape gasket.

Been working great since then.

I don't have pics of it though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wait, is this for the same car as these? I thought OBwan gave excellent pointers. Basically you have not enough fresh air, and/or too much exhaust. If the cars otherwise runs fine with no codes, then maybe the fuel injectors, fuel pump, or misfiring are not the issue.

If you block off the EGR Valve, it eliminates the entire EGR system (so won't have too much exhaust). You will get P0401, but the car should run fine.

The IAC is to give fresh air when the throttle plate is closed. I hope what BMR said above can allow you to bypass the IAC (i.e., so the engine always gets fresh air) like one can bypass the EGR system. Then see what happens. (I wonder if you can also bypass the IAC by sticking something to the valve opening to keep it open, screw everything back, but do not plug electrical connector back.)

2000 Toyota Camry (rpm drops and car turns off sometimes in idle, and happens more often in reverse)

2000 Toyota Camry (Engine keeps dropping RPM and randomly dying when I lightly accelerate) Many repairs already done!

Is it possible that the EGR Valve is stuck open a little?

P0401 and P0446 - Story Time with a Happy Ending

If it is suspected that the EGR Valve might be stuck open a little, sometimes but not always after being activated, then simply pull the vacuum hose to the EGR Valve, then the EGR Valve won't be activated again.

My 97 Camry I4 now idles pretty much perfectly at 700 RPM (right between the 600 and 800 markers). (Engine_Mechanical_I4.pdf page 10 says 700 ± 50 rpm.)

Before around 2014, it had rough idling, although I don't remember what the RPM was. Since 2014, things I have done:

- 3M 08963

- Cleaned EGR Valve, replaced VSV for EGR and EGR Vacuum Modulator.

- Timing belt, etc.

Only after doing the timing belt, etc. did I try to find out what the correct RPM should be (700). So I don't know what the effect of each step was, although I think idling improved after 3M 08963, and the car has been running and sounding better after each step.

Unfortunately 3M 08963 isn't being sold anymore, and the new product 3M 08962 apparently requires some special adapter and has a 1.7 star rating on Amazon. This video shows how 3M 08963 was used, and I wonder if its real effect was just to clean the IAC?

To see how Kingdom's suggestion is done, see videos by AnthonyJ350 and Zero Labs below. I also wonder if the symptom shown in Peter Zafra's video is most indicative of an IAC problem?

Even though my car idles pretty much perfectly now, I have been wondering if I should clean the IAC preemptively. But I also worry about stripping the two screws, and have been wondering if the IAC would turn if, say, I just switch the key between ON and OFF. If so, then I can just put a (ear?) plug in the intake tube, spray throttle body cleaner, and just turn the key ON and OFF without opening the screws?

---

How often should the IACV be cleaned?
"Clean only it when it acts up.

DIY removal & cleaning of IAC
"M5x16 hex bolts and lock washers to replace the 4 phillips screws
that may or may not strip when removing them from the IAC.

5sfe IAC Removal (lots of pictures)
"locate the 4 phillips head screws that attach the IAC to the Throttle body.
"If you have the wrong size, you will strip the screws and you will have to drill / tap new holes

Anyone adjust the IAC before?
"I actually royally screwed up my IAC cleaning project.
I stripped off the Philips screws, broke the throttle body bolt

Your throttle body and You. A user's guide
"I change all the screws to stainless Allen head cap screws

Screws are JIS so people stripping theirs?
What is the tool set to buy to do medium fixes for 1999 Camry?

Idle Air Control Valve Service In Minutes - 2CarPros

---

AnthonyJ350

Zero Labs

Tyler Locke

saxpride
Toyota Camry Idle Air Control Valve Fix 2.2l 4cyl. IAC 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001

Peter Zafra
Toyota Camry Won't Stay On! Quick Fix using Carburetor Cleaner!

---

·
Car Newbie/Enthusiast!
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I paid a mechanic to clean the IAC, then another mechanic told me it wasn't cleaned properly and he re-cleaned the throttle body. Now the car is not starting. I am about to give up on it and have it towed away. Does anybody know a trustworthy and knowledgeable mechanic in the San Fernando Valley area that can possibly help me with this? I would have to tow the car to them at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts