Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m working on a 2000 Toyota echo that’s showing code b0136. I need some help getting rid of the air bag light. The air bag light is blinking. I inspected the pretensioner. The seat belt light goes off when I connect the seat belt, the wires coming out of the pretensioner look like standard wires for the seatbelt only and not the srs system. The wires are not yellow like standard srs circuits. Do these pretensioners affect the airbag light and the seat belt recognition with just those two wires? I really need some help. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Can you get the code read and see what it says, I probably have EVERY part for that system. The two front sensors might be the problem, maybe someone here knows the codes better than me?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  • B0136 is LH pretensioner open circuit. I did some digging in a service manual that I found online, the pretensioner for the echo is actually part of the seatbelt assembly, it is the driver side front. If you have that part, please let me know

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have both sides, but I think they might be the same since the pretensioner is on the same side for both. I don't see any part number on them that could identify left or right. Side by side they look the same.

Edit, looked them up and there is a date breakoff, 1-00 to 1-01. the two I have say 2001 year, not sure if they will work or not. I could send you one or both and you could plug them in and see if it clears the code. I'd like to keep one if they prove troublesome.

I also think they may be specific for the 2 door, I know the two I have came out of a 2 door.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think the light is turned off by the latch. The pretensioners on the two I have have a place for an electrical plug to connect with two pins. Maybe some photos would help with the electrical connection? Might be good to get the production date.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Toyota echo is a 2000 2 door. Just to be clear, you are not talking about the seat belt buckle right? The pretensioner is accessed behind the rear interior panel cover and is a whole assembly with the seat belt. As for it being the same on both sides, I’m not sure because even when they sell it, they label it as being the LF or RF pretensioner. As far as the latch and the electrical connection, I am sure the latch is just to hold in the electrical connector from popping out because there is no tab on the connector that locks it in place, just that latch. If it is possible to send or sell me the LF that would be great. Thanks for all your help by the way.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Here are the two I have from a parts car. As far as identifying them as left or right, not so sure about that. The tensioner is a small explosive charge that tightens the seat belt when the air bags are deployed. The connection point on the two I have is different colored on each one, maybe that is the best way to identify the left side.

Look carefully and the lower right side of both of them where they plug in to the harness. One connection is yellow the other is green. Maybe see which color yours is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think I have the solution> This photo shows the L & R markings on the plastic covers opposite of the part with the explosive charge. What concerns me is shipping something that can explode complicates things greatly.
DSC00236.JPG

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I did some searching and it seems like the pretensioners can be repaired, tried providing a link but it came up as a bunch of garbled crap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I’m pretty sure the LF is the one with the yellow connector. As far as shipping them, if you can’t, not a problem I understand

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'll check on the shipping but will only send the one you need, so I have the other for a spare is I need one with two Echoes in the family. Did you look to see what others are doing to repair these, might be a cheaper alternative. Google "toyota pretensioner seat belt repair".

I tried to post a link but it didn't work.

The one I have marked L has a green connector.

Try this link. I can ship you the one I have if you have no other options, but I can not guarantee it will work. Your post count is very low so it makes me think I pay for shipping and never get a dime for my work. Not sure how to resolve that. We can figure out something. I'm thinking $25 plus freight, which should not be that much even with the hazmat shipping.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts