Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra v8 4.7L 2x2 that is cranking like a champ but will not catch and start. I have tried replacing the fuel filter but that did help. A friend removed the fuel pump relay and laid a wire across and we heard the fuel pump turn on, tried to start it then but still no start. Went ahead and replaced the fuel pump relay but again, no change. I ran my code tester on it but the only code it gave me was P0420, catalytic below threshold in bank 1. Pulled spark plug and tested for spark, had spark. Do not have any RPM when trying to start. I have been told all sorts of possibles, camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, etc.but before just randomly replacing any more parts, I figured I'd try tossing this problem out on a Toyota expert forum. So anyone here have any advice?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I have no idea what that means. I forgot to mention it did sputter / skip / misfire previous to all together dying on me. Also the check engine light is on.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,050 Posts
Have your local parts store scan it for codes since the CEL is on. Most will do it for free or you can buy a cheap scanner at Wal-mart for $20 bucks. If your gonna keep the vehicle it's a good idea. Just keep it in the glove box.
If you got it to do all that, then what I mentioned about the starter is irrelevant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did scan it and the only code it gave was P0420: Catalytic converter below threshold in bank 1.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,050 Posts
Sorry I forgot you mentioned that. I'd consider a new o2 sensor on that bank. The 2nd gen Tundras were known for needing o2 sensors more often than most. Run a can of bk-44 or seafoam in a tank of gas, that's kinda a hail mary approach but some guys swear by them. I've never used either one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I cannot run a can of anything in a tank of gas since it will not start. We have tried everything I can think of, even sprayed starter fluid into the air intake. All it does is turn over, does not even make a sound like it is even trying to catch and start. One of my friends said he was going to bring a noid light over and test it, I do not even have any idea what that even is, but at this point I am willing to try anything.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,050 Posts
Noid test lights are used to test circus, like fuel injectors, efi , ecm pulses.
At this point your gonna have to decide if you want to tackle this or take it to a shop because unless you have friends that are mechanically inclined and have the knowledge and tools you could do more harm than good.
I'm all for learrning you just have to place a value on the lesson plan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noid test lights are used to test circus, like fuel injectors, efi , ecm pulses.
At this point your gonna have to decide if you want to tackle this or take it to a shop because unless you have friends that are mechanically inclined and have the knowledge and tools you could do more harm than good.
I'm all for learrning you just have to place a value on the lesson plan.
Yes, I am not vehicle mechanically inclined, I am a computer guy, but I work at a salvage yard and have a few friends that are mechanics. So I am kind of relying on their expertise.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,050 Posts
I'm sure you can pick up on it since so much of this is data driven. Just gotta have a mental stop sign as to when it's time to take it some where if needed. Nice to have friends willing to help:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: PROBLEM FIXED :)
Went to autozone and did the loaner program for a noid light, put it on, cranked the truck and no light. Changed out the crankshaft position sensor and BAM, truck started right up.

The CEL was also off, but after driving around for a while it did do the misfiring again a little and at the end of the night the CEL popped back on. But for now it starts so I am happy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts