Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I have a 2001 4 runner 2wd, 78K miles. I took it in to have a noise checked out - for lack of a better word, it was a "rough engine" type of noise when I'd let go of the gas at 40+ mph. Anyway, I was told needed new u-joints for both front and rear drive shaft. I was wondering if anyone knew what could have contributed to the U-joints needing replacement at 78K miles? I could only hope the mechanic is being honest with me but I have no way of knowing that either, unfortunatly. Thanks so much!!!

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
it's possible, but not very likely that at 78k you'd need all u-joints for front and rear. is he trying to replace the carrier bearing too?
i don't know, like i said it is possible but they typically do not go out that early and certainly don't all 4 go at the same time. (unless he wants to do the rest as a preventative measure)
i would get a second opinion.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This sounds like a problem I had to get fixed in my 4runner right around 105k miles. I'll have to check and see what it was. Our mechanic figured it out, replaced the part and we were good to go.

I'd make sure to check your pinion bearing in the rear end differential...
Mechanic said it wasn't easy to figure out but it could be the same problem. Cost about
$400.00 to replace and if left as is could end up replacing the whole rear
end for about $3000.00 or more.

And it fixed the problem completely. Something to ask about maybe.

Would you describe it as an almost whirring noise when you let off the gas?

I had a 97 4runner V-6 4x4 Manual 5 speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you zippo44 and 6shooter - appreciate the information very much. I had 2 u-joints replaced - one in front, one in rear and the "whirring' noise is gone. Total cost $275 for labor, $163 for parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi everyone from down under i have a question im getting noises from rear off 4 runner sounds like diff or uni when i put my foot down it goes but when i dont it stays allso goes when i put the clutch in anyone know what it maybe

·
Registered
26 Posts
U-joints make noise while you are moving only. They tend to either get worse when you accelerate, or when you de-celerate. Now if the noise gets worse when turning, it is probably a CV shaft. If it sounds like a small hammer hitting metal on metal over and over again, probably CV, if it sounds like a horrible grinding noise it could be the steering knuckle bushings.

trailer towing wears out U-joints prematurely, so does 4 wheeling. The cheepest way to fix them is to remove the drive shaft yourself, anywhere from 4 bolts and up depending on which one is worn out. I bought mine for $20 and Canadian Tire, and paid another 20 to have them press a new one in for me and then I re installed the drive shaft. Remember to mark it and the input shaft with a grease pen so you can put it back together the same way it came off. Otherwise it will end up out of balance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.