Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem with the CD player. I am getting an error 3. I am not even sure if there is a cd stuck in there or not. I did remove the fuse and allow the system to reset. The only thing that changed was that it asked for a cd to load but did not load the CD. My next thought was to get in there and clean it and see if that is the problem but I have only been able to find videos to remove the entire radio. There was a link posted in here to remove the face plate but was no longer available.

·
01 Avalon 298k, 04 Avalon 150k
33 Posts
Having a problem with the CD player. I am getting an error 3. I am not even sure if there is a cd stuck in there or not. I did remove the fuse and allow the system to reset. The only thing that changed was that it asked for a cd to load but did not load the CD. My next thought was to get in there and clean it and see if that is the problem but I have only been able to find videos to remove the entire radio. There was a link posted in here to remove the face plate but was no longer available.
I have removed mine and replaced it with Android Pumpkin head unit. I did see a video where the tech removed it so it could be worked on in the shop. The hard part of the removal is getting the vents out. The clips that hold them in are very stiff. I'm not sure that I would spend a lot of time working on an 18 yr old CD player. Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
01 Avalon 298k, 04 Avalon 150k
33 Posts
I have removed mine and replaced it with Android Pumpkin head unit. I did see a video where the tech removed it so it could be worked on in the shop. The hard part of the removal is getting the vents out. The clips that hold them in are very stiff. I'm not sure that I would spend a lot of time working on an 18 yr old CD player. Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have seen the videos to remove the stereo itself. I was looking for a way to remove just the face plates to be able to clean the CD player and see if that resolves the issue. There is a post from 2011 asking that same question and Toyota nation responded with a link but that has since been removed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have an '03 Avalon XLS with the JBL 6 disc changer so this may or may not apply to you. The faceplate is held on with little tabs along the outside. My CD player died similar to yours (seems a common problem with the changer) and I took it out to swap with a used ebay buy. Ended up the one I bought also had issues. I doubt you can get the faceplate off without removing the radio.

·
Registered
916 Posts
The tabs are going to be a challenge. There are 8 total, 2 each on left, right, top, bottom.

At the very least, you'll have to make a set of tools thin enough to slide between the faceplate and the trim surround, yet stiff enough to lift the tab over the white plastic protrusions that you can just see under the squared-off tabs. It'll need some sort of hook at the end to catch the very back of the tab.

I guess you could form something out of round steel as well, with a crook bent into the end that would lift the tab as you turn the tool. Might not mar the plastic too badly if you cover the shank of the tool with tape.

It's barely possible that the white protrusion can be pushed in far enough to release the tab. You could do that with the right sort of pen knife.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts