Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there i just bought 2001 toyota avalon very nice and smooth ride , but on the way home a check engine light came on so i scanned the light as soon as i got to my home with obd ii scanner and the code was p0330 knock sensor bank 2 .....is this something need to be replaced right a way ? Can i still drive the car ? And where is this sensor located ? Can i clean it or it has to be changed ? Thanks allot for your time in advance

·
Registered
'2017 Camry XLE 4cyl.
734 Posts
There's some pretty easy diagnostics to find out what this is, but the bottom line anyway will be replace B1 and B2 knock sensors, plus the short wiring harness.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,614 Posts
It's buried in the V between the two cylinder banks. Remove intake manifold after removing plenum. There are two sensors, one on each bank. Could actually be in the wiring to the sensor, of course.

If you DIY, get your parts from [email protected]. Thirty% off MSRP to TN members.

I think that your ECU should go into fail-safe mode and be very conservative on spark advance. This will prevent engine damage, usually at a cost to fuel economy. If you want to add suspenders to that belt, you could use premium fuel until fixed.

Oh, change the coolant bypass hose while in there. Give you a little more room to work, and avoid wanting to shoot self if it started leaking in a year or two or...ever.

Listen to any other advice from Gary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good advice on the opportunity to change out the coolant bypass hose.

When I got the P0330 code on my '99 Avalon, the diagnostic section of the shop manual offered a method to tell on which side of the EC1 connector--knock sensor side or computer side--the problem exists. Pins 3 & 4 of the connector are grounds for the shielding; pin 1, knock sensor bank 1 signal; pin 2, knock sensor bank 2 signal. Clear the P0330 code from the computer, use jumpers between the connector halves to swap pin 1 to pin 2 and pin 2 to pin 1, connect pins 3 & 4 together, then drive the car to 65-70 mph until the check engine light comes on again. Now, scan for the code again.

In my case, when the code changed to P0325 (knock sensor bank 1), it meant the problem was on the knock sensor side of the connector. If the code had stayed the same, P0330 in my case, the problem would have been on the computer side of the connector (pray this is not the case (if you believe in prayer :) )).

At least, if you know the problem isn't under the manifold, you'll save yourself a lot of needless labor disassembling and reassembling, not to mention the expense (and they are expensive) of knock sensors and a shielded temperature-resistant wiring harness. However, if the problem is somewhere between the EC1 connector and the computer, inclusive, you'll need to check the wire between pin 1 of connector EC1 and pin 27 of the E6 connector (at the computer) or pin 2 and pin 28, depending which code you scanned. If those wires are good, your computer almost certainly will have to be replaced to eliminate the code.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts