Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Camry that in the last 3 days has started making a thumping sound when the fan is set at the higher speeds. Also, at the lower speeds, there is no noise but no air flow as well. At the higher speeds, along with the thumping sounds, I do get a little air flow. From reading other posts/replies, the blower resistor seems to be the first place to look but I have not read any other posts that have combined the thumping noise along with no air flow at the lower speeds. Is there anything else I need to look at? Thanks in advance for the assist.

·
Proud Camry owner.
1993 Toyota Camry
189 Posts
I have a 2001 Camry that in the last 3 days has started making a thumping sound when the fan is set at the higher speeds. Also, at the lower speeds, there is no noise but no air flow as well. At the higher speeds, along with the thumping sounds, I do get a little air flow. From reading other posts/replies, the blower resistor seems to be the first place to look but I have not read any other posts that have combined the thumping noise along with no air flow at the lower speeds. Is there anything else I need to look at? Thanks in advance for the assist.
I'm getting a similar thing in my Gen3 4cyl. I noticed when the (Facing the front of the car) Left fan comes on, it starts making the noise. It sounds to me like the plastic fins on the fan are hitting something, making a knocking noise. I think it's the cooling fan.
Any ideas by anyone else? A fix? My aunts 2000 Camry 4cly does it too.

·
Ex-Master Diagnostic tech
15 Ram 1500 Diesel
428 Posts
Sounds like something is in the blower cage. Remove the motor and check it out.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
^ I agree with hevster1, sounds like something is in the blower hosuing. As far as the fan speeds, your first assumption sounds correct; check the blower motor resistor.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something, I assume a field mouse had made nest in the blower fan. On lower speeds, there was no air flow because the fan was so clogged that it could not push any air and the thumping noise at the higher speeds was probably due to the weight of the nest not letting the fan spin evenly. I had already pulled the blower resistor and checked it out and found no obvious problems but replaced it with the new one I had purchased since I already had everything tore down anyway. After cleaning out the fan and putting it all back together, it runs like a champ. Thanks for the assist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts