Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2001 Camry Gallery Ed. at a pretty reasonable price. Reasonable because it has a leaking seal. I was hoping it would be one of the axle seals but it appears to be the seal behind the torque converter. I found the 2007 pix/procedure archive link provided by kocho/Lightning Blue and have looked at a couple of online videos that go through the process pretty fast. I will be doing this in my driveway so no lifts to help out. Just curious if anyone might have some words of wisdom, tricks, things to look out for, before I jump in. Any thoughts or helps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,104 Posts
Pull the engine and trans out the top, then separate and deal with the seal. While you're in there refresh the engine seals (rear main seal, oil pans both upper and lower, and top end).

You can use a bolt and large washer to attach chain to the front head, but if you look at diagrams for your car (www.japan-parts.eu) you'll find that Toyota does sell a bolt-on lift hook for the front head to complement the rear hanger. Not prudent to leave it on all the time as it interferes with the hood.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the engine and trans out the top, then separate and deal with the seal. While you're in there refresh the engine seals (rear main seal, oil pans both upper and lower, and top end).

You can use a bolt and large washer to attach chain to the front head, but if you look at diagrams for your car (www.japan-parts.eu) you'll find that Toyota does sell a bolt-on lift hook for the front head to complement the rear hanger. Not prudent to leave it on all the time as it interferes with the hood.
Thank you, insightbrewery, for your reply. Would you still recommend pulling both the engine and the transmission out through the top if you knew the engine was a V6 and had air conditioning? The reason I ask is that someone else recommended out the top with engine if it was a four cylinder but out the bottom if it was a six and I don't have a way at this point to pull it out the top. Disconnecting the air conditioning seems like it would add a complication. Thank you again in advance for your input.

·
Super Moderator
13,514 Posts
If you don’t wanna break open the AC system, you can unbolt the compressor from the engine and push it aside to pull the motor/trans.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a engine crane to lift out of the back. I am proceeding with taking the tranny out through the bottom. Any suggestions where I can attach the chain on the engine support bar to the interior side of a V6. I am having trouble locating a proper locations, one that appears to be strong enough to avoid damage.
Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rear main seal?

Ugh, add a bottle of this first, its worth a try...
Thanks for your input but it leaks badly. Had to drive it 150 miles and had to stop every 30 miles to make sure there was enough fluid. Went through a gallon over that distance.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I'd expect some serious blow by if its moving oil out that fast, I'd do a wet/dry compression test first as there's little point in pulling the engine if the rings are shot.

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was curious if anyone has any experience freeing a passenger side half axle that is frozen in the carrier bearing. I have used PB Blaster and a little heat and it has only moved a smidge using pry bars and tapping on the bearing itself with a hammer and punch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just to clarify the axle isn't frozen in the bearing, the bearing is stuck in the bracket/mount that holds the bearing. It is supposed to just slide out but it is far from doing that. Probably why the manual says to coat the surfaces of the bearing and the mount with oil before insertion.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
935 Posts
I was curious if anyone has any experience freeing a passenger side half axle that is frozen in the carrier bearing. I have used PB Blaster and a little heat and it has only moved a smidge using pry bars and tapping on the bearing itself with a hammer and punch.
Edit: below is on the 5SFE 4 cylinder Camry, may be different on the v6 motor.

It's a lot of work DIY'ing it - with the front lifted at 3 points (both sides, main engine crossmember),
remove the outer axle shaft from the coupler,
cut the inner axle close to the trans (3-4""),
cut the other side close to the carrier bearing (3"),
unbolt the carrier bearing housing bracket from the motor,
unbolt the rear engine mount from the lower subframe to gain clearance,
place a board under the oil pan, lift the motor using a floor jack 2-3" to gain clearance,
and guide -> remove the rear engine mount, with carrier bearing mount attached from the bottom of vehicle.
* If exhaust system is in the way, you will need to drop the front pipe. ** If flex pipe is not in great condition, plan on damage .. / replacing as well.

Take carrier bearing mount to a shop w/ a proper press, and have the bearing / cut axle pressed out.

If you are able to (unbolt / separate) the carrier bearing housing from the top of the rear engine motor mount: things will go smoother vs. above. If not, plan on several hours of fun as above, Sigh.

Strongly consider taking the vehicle to a shop w/ a proper lift, tools, and heat (torches, etc.) to do the repair if you are not equipped to do so, the cost of tools, etc. to safely do above ... will exceed the cost of a DIY repair.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank for your reply. Car is already up in the air and the subframe is about ready to come off. Was hoping I could save the axle. The axle is fine. I just wanted to get it out of the way to remove the transmission.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have removed the subframe and the transmission is ready to come out but I don't think I have enough clearance to get it out with the splines of the passenger shaft still inside. Not being able to get the shaft out, I removed four bolts holding the mount housing the carrier bearing. Are there more than just the four bolts? I still can't get anything to move. I have hammered on the mount with force parallel to the shaft outward but nothing happens. Either I am missing something else holding the mount or something else is holding the splines inside the transmission. The manual and videos don't show removing the bracket that surrounds the hole ( and holds the seal, I assume) where the shaft enters the transmission. Does that have to be removed? There are four fasteners, one on each corner on that bracket. Any help would be appreciated.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
935 Posts
If there are bolts securing the inner CV axle flange -> to the transmisson, then yes - those should be removed, to release the axle. (This is different vs. 4 cyl. auto trans, the axles are held in by spline clips, on the axle shaft.)

See pic, post #13

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

If there are bolts securing the inner CV axle flange -> to the transmisson, then yes - those should be removed, to release the axle. (This is different vs. 4 cyl. auto trans, the axles are held in by spline clips, on the axle shaft.)

See pic, post #13

Here is a picture of the transmission. The blue plug is where the passenger half shaft goes into the transmission. From the looks of what I see here, the plate/bracket circled probably doesn't need to be removed but I can't figure out why, with the four bolts taken out from the engine mount that holds the carrier bearing, the shaft refuses to move.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
935 Posts
Only guess I have is still load / tension between the motor and the bearing carrier mount, preventing movement. Like I mentioned above, I had to use a floor jack w/ wood board under the oil pan (on the 4 cyl. motor) to 'break' the tension free between the (2), IIRC there were also 2 metal "dowel" pins on that bearing carrier mount, that provided alignment -> and "fit" into the motor. It was an hours-long, PITA process to remove, then re-align on reassembly without the benefit of a professional shop lift. (Be careful under there, stay safe.)

If there isn't any visible separation of the carrier mount from the motor, you may want to try "massaging" it away from the motor: I used a short pry bar here, no excessive force used. I wouldn't recommend overly "wrenching" on it, to avoid breaking any casting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It occured to me after posting that there might be something on the bottom of the mount that interfaced with the block to align it. I took a screwdriver and pryed the mount away from the block enough to shine a flashlight. Found the two pins you mentioned. Had to go ahead and hope I could separate the tranny and engine with the axle still inserted. Fortunately, it worked out. Tranny is out. Will have to get the axle pressed out of the mount if I can't get it out now that I have better access to it, or cut/pull the alignment pins and then put it in after reinstalling the transmission.
Thanks CamryFL for your help.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts