Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
01' LE Camry
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Need helping on how to turn off the 2001 camry's Auto lights when it gets dark, I want to know how to turn off the sensor thingy for when it gets dark the lights just turns on by itself. Please need help.:Bruce:

·
Stock? Blasphemy!
06 Rav4 v6, 08 HiHy
879 Posts
no, in a gen4 the only way to disable the auto lights is to disconnect the little sensor. on the passenger side of the dash there's a little gray/black "bubble" near the bottom of the windshield. pry it up and unplug the wire there. tie a string to it or something in case you want to plug it back in in the future. snap the bubble back into the dash and you're done.

·
Registered
01' LE Camry
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks man, I didnt think it was on the signal thingy because it look different from his generation year, but thanks firefire for the help. THank you Gib.

·
1999 Camry LE 1mz-fe
1999 Camry LE
32 Posts
Okay Question...

Do you have DRL(Daytime Running Lamps)? IF so then Toyota did a TSB on disconnecting your DRL's and therefore you have to manually turn on your headlights. I have a 1999 Camry LE and i hated that my headlights would turn on at night when i was just sitting in my car parked and listening to music or with my girl at the lake and NEEDING the lights off but because of it the lights turned on. anyway i dont have a picture of the actuall DIY but i know this much the DRL relay is located on the driver side of the radio pillar area. you are going to need to remove the panel underneath the steering column and also the panel that goes around the radio and is on the glove box side also. well if you look on the driver side of the radio column there is a wiring harness that is Blue and the connector is White. well there are whole bunch of wires coming out of it you take one of those out and voila you have no mor DRL's! here is a picture of the DRL relay.

there is one wire that needs to be removed. the pin/wire number is #23.
you will be looking at the white harness and the tension clip will be on top and wires facing you . the wire is the furthest one to the right on the bottom row. that wire just cut it and use electrical tape to seal it from grounding or other wiring. I have a pdf copy of the TSB if some one want it just PM and i will email them the copy. it won't show the exact wire but will walk you through the process of deactivating the DRL's. Hope this helps.:confused:

·
Stock? Blasphemy!
06 Rav4 v6, 08 HiHy
879 Posts
Do you have DRL(Daytime Running Lamps)? IF so then Toyota did a TSB on disconnecting your DRL's and therefore you have to manually turn on your headlights. I have a 1999 Camry LE and i hated that my headlights would turn on at night when i was just sitting in my car parked and listening to music or with my girl at the lake and NEEDING the lights off but because of it the lights turned on. anyway i dont have a picture of the actuall DIY but i know this much the DRL relay is located on the driver side of the radio pillar area. you are going to need to remove the panel underneath the steering column and also the panel that goes around the radio and is on the glove box side also. well if you look on the driver side of the radio column there is a wiring harness that is Blue and the connector is White. well there are whole bunch of wires coming out of it you take one of those out and voila you have no mor DRL's! here is a picture of the DRL relay.

there is one wire that needs to be removed. the pin/wire number is #23.
you will be looking at the white harness and the tension clip will be on top and wires facing you . the wire is the furthest one to the right on the bottom row. that wire just cut it and use electrical tape to seal it from grounding or other wiring. I have a pdf copy of the TSB if some one want it just PM and i will email them the copy. it won't show the exact wire but will walk you through the process of deactivating the DRL's. Hope this helps.:confused:
what happened to just unplugging the big gray plug in the rear of the passengerside engine bay?

granted... my 98 never had DRL or auto-lights...

·
1999 Camry LE 1mz-fe
1999 Camry LE
32 Posts
what happened to just unplugging the big gray plug in the rear of the passengerside engine bay?

nO YOU ARE RIGHT that is an option you have but the way that i am Explaining is strictly to disable your DRL's if you have them.. Now when you disable your DRL's you have more control as to when the lights come on.

·
Registered
01' LE Camry
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn im confused now, ok the day light running on my car, I've already disable it by just taking 2 yellow fuses out of the fuse box underneath the hood because its not on anymore whenever I turn the car on THATS GOOD. But what im asking is the lights that turn on at night whenever it senses dark, the main lights will turn on by itself. I see that gray/black thingy underneath the windshield on the passenger side. need help.

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
damn im confused now, ok the day light running on my car, I've already disable it by just taking 2 yellow fuses out of the fuse box underneath the hood because its not on anymore whenever I turn the car on THATS GOOD. But what im asking is the lights that turn on at night whenever it senses dark, the main lights will turn on by itself. I see that gray/black thingy underneath the windshield on the passenger side. need help.
It was explained already:

no, in a gen4 the only way to disable the auto lights is to disconnect the little sensor. on the passenger side of the dash there's a little gray/black "bubble" near the bottom of the windshield. pry it up and unplug the wire there. tie a string to it or something in case you want to plug it back in in the future. snap the bubble back into the dash and you're done.
Like Gibson said, you just need to disconnect the "night time sentinel." This will disable the headlights from automatically turning on.
The other guy is just explaining how to disable the DRL's.

·
Registered
01' LE Camry
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ummm I pulled out that black and white sensor thingy, but there is like 3 wires, purple, white and pink, which one do I cut?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for the picture. I had the Toyota SB info too, so I knew what to do. But, knowing what to do is more often easier part of doing. (No need to tell you that, I'm sure.) I was all over the under side of the dash, and found ever other module in the car, but the @#$% DRL. I am planning to install an HID kit, and disabling the DRL was a necessary prerequisite.
I went so far as to buy the wiring diagram on line for less the $15. That really was a good investment. They send you an e-mail with a link that allowes you need to download the diagrams for you particular car within a 48 time frame. I found the Haynes books just don't meassure-up when it comes to the 'real deal'. You can go right off the deep end in a minute. Thanks again, Robert

·
Registered
126 Posts

well i just cut the white wire with gray strip all the way to the right and bottom while facing you.

I didnt see anything different except the blue highbeam sign were on the dashboard.

What color is the pin 23?

·
Unofficial TN Member
Camry
325 Posts
Thank you for the picture. I had the Toyota SB info too, so I knew what to do. But, knowing what to do is more often easier part of doing. (No need to tell you that, I'm sure.) I was all over the under side of the dash, and found ever other module in the car, but the @#$% DRL. I am planning to install an HID kit, and disabling the DRL was a necessary prerequisite.
I went so far as to buy the wiring diagram on line for less the $15. That really was a good investment. They send you an e-mail with a link that allowes you need to download the diagrams for you particular car within a 48 time frame. I found the Haynes books just don't meassure-up when it comes to the 'real deal'. You can go right off the deep end in a minute. Thanks again, Robert
curious, i'm planning on getting HID kit too. why is deactivating DRL a necessary prerequisite?

edit: oh fishsticks....i removed the "bubble" and unplugged it, and dropped the switched in the hole. oh well. how do i recover it if i ever want it back? what happens if i pry open the "air bag" panel on top of the dash? the airbag isn't gonna blow up in my face is it? ...actually, how do i even open that airbag panel right next to the "bubble"?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Camry has a Red bubble and it's about size stacked Quarters 8 h8gh ! Other than that I don't see what your describing about the 2001 Camry LE ! I'm SORRY as I'm alittle bit Slow ! Ha Ha ...I'm not but I'd rather look at the diagram ! ! ! Thank You

1 - 18 of 18 Posts