Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Looking if anyone has a thorough, complete video of how to safely replace the transmission fluid and filter, as well as the differential.
Otherwise, a complete guide would be good too.

I also am looking if anyone can vouch for a specific aftermarket filter replacement, as the OEM ones are pricey.

I do plan on replacing the fluid with Genuine Toyota Dex 3. (expensive!)

These are the links to the parts I have found currently.

what else do I need?

FYI-I bought my Camry about a year ago. I got it with just over 20K (not a typo) and it now has 24.5K.
I assume it has the original factory fluid in it currently, last time I looked it still had a reddish tinge.

Thanks

Genuine crush washers

Genuine ATF fluid

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just replaced the filter (actually a screen) and fluid in my 2000 Camry. $20 filter at auto-zone would do. I always use this fluid in my older Toyota transmissions for years and never had any issue. Very smooth shifting.
Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Gallon

·
short-throw dipstick
5,948 Posts
It's just a screen filter, most anybody that isn't some no-name eBay Chinese brand will do. Make sure to get a kit with a RUBBER gasket and NOT cork.

You can torque to spec (pan bolt torque is a measly 48 in-lbs, IIRC), or you can do what I do: use the later U-series transmission torque procedure, which is to put a little transmission RTV on each bolt, then torque in criss-cross pattern to 69 in-lbs.

Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF is what I use. Fantastic results. Dexron VI works great in this application (MaxLife is basically Dex VI with several additive packages). No harm using the deprecated Dex III either.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,369 Posts
It's a screen, no need to replace, just clean (after removal) with solvent and soft brush.

Do the complete flush method with helper. I have always used Castrol Import Multi-vehicle ATF, but others suggestions will also be fine.

·
Registered
384 Posts
After doing several of these over the years(and rarely finding anything in the pan or screen), I now only do a drain and refill.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
784 Posts
OP,
Just an FYI on the diff. Make sure the fill plug will come loose before you drain it. Also, torque is 36# on trans plug and both diff plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts