Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
14,388 Posts
Cheapest would be a salvage yard. You can probably get a motor for $500 or so. But it varies a lot, based on the prices I've seen others post. But installing a used engine is risky. You never know if the reason the car went to junkyard is because a head gasket was blown, engine's knocking, etc. I suspect most yards give a non-DOA warranty, but still, you'd invest a lot of time only to find out the used motor is bad.

Less risky is buying a JDM engine. Google "JDM engine" (without the quotes) and you'll find dozens of places selling lightly used engines taken out of cars from Japan. JDM = Japanese Domestic Market. The downside is that their emissions requirements are different, so you'll have to transfer some things from the old engine to the new. And if you don't know what's different, you'll have a big hot mess on your hands.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
What's your budget?

Toyota 4Cyl engine for your 4th Gen is called a 5SFE
Used engines can be found by calling local Toyota auto recyclers or at
car-part .com

If your car came from Calif. it could have come with a 4cyl 5FSNE engine

Rebuilt engines come in 3 types
Short block - rebuilt crank, pistons, block; no head or other parts
Long Block - short block along with head, cams, valves rebuilt, assembled; usually comes with new timing belt, water pump, valve cover and oil pan.
Complete - assembled engine ready to run, may have to add/swap some sensors.

You can just pull the engine but it is a tight squeeze; some pull the engine and transmission as one unit.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
92 Toyota Camry XLE
1,798 Posts
Hello,

Has anyone ever changed the motor in a 2001 Camery? I think it is the four cylinder motor. Also where would be the best place to get a motor for it. I live in the Dallas Ft.Worth area.

Thank you
Hello Wax87:hi:

I personally have not used this supplier but, they seem to have highest quality stuff and they back up with a long warranty (90 days) and most importantly you get all components such as Alternator, AC Compressor, Sensors etc.. and for a small additional fee, the Automatic Transmission.

You can see they have the 2001 setup at:
http://www.japangeneralmotor.com/in...oyota-camry-97-01-dohc-2-2l-5s-fe-engine.html

·
Registered
2004 Avalon
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I have done this before on foxbody mustangs, but I am not sure of the little things you learn on the 1st try that you wished you knew before you began, for instance, Change he CV joints as well? How many gaskets should I change...

The budget would be around $1,000, if I can get the car for $500, get it up here for $100 and there would be another $200 in fluids, gaskets ect. that would put it at $1800 for the project.

Thanks again for your input

Wax87

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
92 Toyota Camry XLE
1,798 Posts
Hey Wax87,

You are welcomed!

Just to give you a comparison, I recently changed out an Engine on a 2003 that has the 2.4 Liter and a Salvage Yard one cost $1,800 and that is my price!

Thank yourself you have the 2001 with the 2.2 Liter as those are much less $$$, however, in my opinion the 2.2 Liter is a much more durable Engine over the 2.4 Liter.

Stay in touch.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.