Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
series of events, three months ago my key would not turn at all, after some one hours worth of jiggling it finally turned and started the engine, got home tried spare key never used worked fine. two month ago the car just shut off while driving. had it towed to shop and after 800 dollars said timing belt problems. today the car started jerking, and then just shut down again. all the accessories worked and key turned to start the car. started moving again and got the same jerking sensation and the car again shut down. this happened three times before I could get it back home. starts up fine but after a few seconds it repeated the same symptoms. I have been told today that it could be the key lock cylinder, that is an easy job to replace, any ideas as to whether a bad key lock cylinder could be the cause, or something more serious?

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
series of events, three months ago my key would not turn at all, after some one hours worth of jiggling it finally turned and started the engine, got home tried spare key never used worked fine. two month ago the car just shut off while driving. had it towed to shop and after 800 dollars said timing belt problems. today the car started jerking, and then just shut down again. all the accessories worked and key turned to start the car. started moving again and got the same jerking sensation and the car again shut down. this happened three times before I could get it back home. starts up fine but after a few seconds it repeated the same symptoms. I have been told today that it could be the key lock cylinder, that is an easy job to replace, any ideas as to whether a bad key lock cylinder could be the cause, or something more serious?

Assuming the Engine here is the 5S-FE (2.2 Liter), it really shocks and surprises me that this shop concluded it was a Timig Belt issue? To charge you $800 assuming it was a Timing Belt issue, I mean did they at a minimum check to see if the Engine and Ignition was following each other (Sync)? Did you ask for the old parts and I am assuming this amount included the seals, Water Pump and Idle Tensioner and Pully?

$800 for a Timing Belt Job assuming the other components is very reasonable, if in fact they did a timing belt at all. Over here in Central Florida I got quotes as recently as three months ago and the highest at a Dealer was $1375 and the Lowest at a PRO SHOP was $725.

Fuel issue seems about right and this SHOP should have checked!

·
4,037 Posts
Assuming the Engine here is the 5S-FE (2.2 Liter), it really shocks and surprises me that this shop concluded it was a Timig Belt issue? To charge you $800 assuming it was a Timing Belt issue, I mean did they at a minimum check to see if the Engine and Ignition was following each other (Sync)? Did you ask for the old parts and I am assuming this amount included the seals, Water Pump and Idle Tensioner and Pully?

$800 for a Timing Belt Job assuming the other components is very reasonable, if in fact they did a timing belt at all. Over here in Central Florida I got quotes as recently as three months ago and the highest at a Dealer was $1375 and the Lowest at a PRO SHOP was $725.

Fuel issue seems about right and this SHOP should have checked!
Yeah, did they actually prove to you or confirm that the timing belt had snapped (broken)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, did they actually prove to you or confirm that the timing belt had snapped (broken)?
no they had it picked up and the next day called and said they had fixed the problem and I could come and pick it up. I went back to the shop and told them that the same problem was happening again. gave me the phone number of the wrecker service and have them bring it back to them and they would look it over and try to find the problem. I ask is they had fixed the problem the first time why would they same thing be happening again. simply said bring it back in for a review of the work done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts