Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I am new here and looking for some advice. I have a 2001 auto camry 2.2 litre engine and we r in Australia. I've had this car a relatively short time and use her daily for work. The car was not being driven much at all before I bought it. Now it goes at least 600 km per week due to my job.
Anyway. I have some electrical issues. The first one was the factory radio reset every time the car was turned off. It would need to be switched back on manually when I started the car and had lost all presets. I bought a new sony stereo and fitted it using a wiring kit. No problem with it resetting. During this time the car also had an intermittent loss of power for a second at start up which would result in the dash clock resetting but the radio keeping its presets. This was rectified with a new battery and terminals.
Intermittently the cars electric windows would not work. To get them to work I had to take key out of ignition and lock doors with remote fob, unlock with remote and they work. The passenger door electric window only works using the driver side buttons. The passenger side Can be intermittently wound down however but not back up.
The saga continues with a recent but very intermittent loss of power to the radio when other switches in car have been used such as the fan switch or electric window. The radio would go off and back on by itself. Sometimes losing presets.
Finally, yesterday almost every time I shut the engine off the radio etc would go off and back on when the key was in the accessories position. Normally the radio woukd continuously run when the engine was switched off and key at accessories. Has anyone got any ideas what it could be? My alternator has been running noisily the whole time I've had the car but no warning lights appear. No check engine light..any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
K

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a lot. You may need to call Sam and Dean(Supernatural) cause you car may be possessed.

Seriously though sometimes some of the worse and most problematic electrical issues can be pinpointed down to simply a ground issue.

I would double check all grounds from under to hood to every single one within the cabin of the car. Easiest ones being at the battery, at the cylinder heads to the strut towers, then under battery tray, at the transmission, back of intake manifold, inside the car at the kick panels. I’m sure I’ve forgotten some others. Take some sand paper and scuff these areas where the bolt and ring terminal bolt to and scuff it to the bare metal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and Thankyou for your reply. Yes I am starting to think it's possessed. There r loads of other issues too but it manages to run and never uses oil. It's a nice looking specimen but just has so many little problems. I think I could write a novel on it. Anyway I will have a look at the earth wires and see what I find. I drove it This morning and the accessories behaved normally again so who knows what today will bring. Thanks again. K

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,401 Posts
When you purchased the car, did it have an aftermarket head unit? Sounds like it's wired directly to the battery. This is likely why it is always has power.

Check the fuse for the radio.

For the passenger side power window, you have a dying switch in the passenger door. I suggest you find a breaker and get the window motor pigtail and use this to bypass and test the motor. This will verify the motor is still functioning and isolate the issue to the switch.

The pulley on the alternator is noisy. To verify, take the serpentine belt off and turn the pulley by hand. The bearing is dry and making noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes it definitely has a noise bearing in the alternator. I recently changed the belt and felt that the lilly was rough when spinning. The radio is wired up using the cars original wiring. I bought a lot to plug and play. Weird today however. I noticed the aerial only went up a small amount. And when it went back down not all the way. So I sprayed it with some wd40 I had here and it went up and down normally. I'm wondering if the aerial being a bit seized may have caused the radio etc to shut off. I drove the car for several hours today and didn't have any issues with the radio turning itself off. Strange.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
883 Posts
The antenna is tied into the radio circuit, so I think you found the radio problem - you may want to try to better lubricate the assembly w/ some light grease, or consider replacing it w/ new, depending on condition.

From reading above, is sounds like the vehicle has several (separate) electrical issues due to age / maintenance, addressing each one should only improve reliability / confidence in the vehicle.

The alternator item - if you have a voltage meter available, keeping it handy / with the vehicle for on-road testing may be a good idea. Every alternator failure here was preceeded by a "loud alternator" / bearing noise, from experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts