Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and glad to be here.

I have a 2001 Prizm with a A/C compressor that is making a grinding noise. I can actually see metal shavings forming on the outside of the pulley. I think it is the magnetic clutch going out.

I bought a belt for the same car wit out A/C to bypass the compressor but it was still to long.

My questions are can I keep using the compressor pulley and unplug the electric terminal on the compressor so that the clutch can't engage or can I use a string to go around the pulleys skipping the compressor and measure it to find a belt that will fit.

I want to do this because I can't afford to replace the compressor and other parts that concern the AC.

·
Registered
'98 Corolla LE
221 Posts
When you have the belt off and spin the compressor by hand, does it feel smooth or like the bearings are shot?

·
Registered
71 Posts
This exact thing happend to my 98 prizm. I remember opening the hood and getting hit with metal. It sounded like a skateboard with bad bearings.

I didnt care much about the ac system in the first place because i never use it so i went to the auto store and bought a serpentine belt w/o ac. Just re route the belt and bypass the compressor pulley. Voila, your engine purrs like a kitten again and you dont have to worry about the pulley seizing up while you drive. Gives you a bit more power to.

Unless you want to replace the ac compressor. Quite pricey compared to a thirty dollar belt.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts