Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I'm a proud owner of a 2001 corolla. I recently have an issue where I will turn the key and the engine will make the rrr rrr sound but not turn over. I looked under the hood and the engine shakes a bit each time the rrr sound is made. I will typically wait a few minutes and try again. I give the car gas as I turn the key and viola it starts.
I also did a trouble code check since my check engine light is on. I got a P0171 code which said "System to lean (Bank 1)."

Any ideas what could be causing this? Any things I can try?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has always started after making the rrr rrr noise but not in the same turn of the key. I will turn the key then get a rrr rrr. Then I will stop and wait. I try this a few times and eventually it will start. I have not needed to jump it. This also happened once getting pizza( A short time between stop and restart) and once after an oil change(again a short time between stop and restart).

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
i had a similar problem a few months back.
take your starter off and take it into an Advance Auto Parts to have it tested (autozone and o'reilly's may do it too)
thats what my problem was. (my starter was deep fried after 10 years of use)
the P0171 is PROBABLY caused by a dirty MAF, get some throttle body cleaner and spray it down, clean the throttle body while your there. also run some Shell 93 (V Power) thru your engine next fill up, you may have a dirty/clogged injector.

·
NoLa Rolla
'05 Corolla S 240K+ miles ('98 Corolla VE deceased in 2008)
692 Posts
I'm thinking fuel pump or fuel filter. Sounds like the fuel isn't getting to the engine. Try this: turn the key to RUN, wait a few (10-30) seconds then try to start it.

Totally mis-read that one. Like Downhillzze110 said it's probably the starter gone bad. Probably not catching all the time.

Gil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts