Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm new to this forum, but i'm a Mod over at MitsbishiForums.com (shameless plug). Anyways, i recently acquired a 2001 Corolla S and, you guessed it, want to know if the 03+ TRD supercharger fits into the corolla engine bay. I have a fair amount of Toyota knowledge, but i never really got into the zz series engine all that much. I'm a much bigger fan of the 4age;) . Anyways, i want to *keep* the 1zz in the corolla, but just want to know if the supercharger will fit in their with any problems? You guys probably mentioned this in some other thread, or even have a writeup on it somewhere, but i can't find it. Also, it's an automatic....so yeah....

BTW, The S model looks really cool and everything, but has anyone put on the Tein springs yet? I read good reviews about them, But no one has commented on which shocks work best with them. Any sugestions? Even if this car can't produce the power of my old Spyder, i still want it to be a handling champ. I'm thinking that maybe some Celica suspension components can be fitted onto the zze110 chasis, but i'm not sure. Anyone confirm? Well, thanks for the space.

·
BigWilly ;)
2001 Toyota Corolla
431 Posts
probably have to change/modify the hood, radiator is too big, and quite possibly ecu issues.. maybe even more..

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
a friend of mine and i are currently searching for a better option than the TRD(better performance as well as something that fits in the engine bay)...currently, there's an ECU pinout issue, as well as needing the aforementioned different radiator and a hood with either a bump(like the Neons and Eclipses/Talons have) or a scoop. forgot to mention...the ECU piggyback will have issues with your tranny if it's an auto.

beyond that...it's pretty unknown. nobody has done this and posted about it, so it's hard to say what the deal is. IF you do go this route...make sure you post up about it for the rest of us :).

·
Will Work For Boost
FX16 GTS
196 Posts
falnfenix said:
beyond that...it's pretty unknown. nobody has done this and posted about it, so it's hard to say what the deal is. IF you do go this route...make sure you post up about it for the rest of us :).
That is exactly our problem. Apparently no one has tried it. I've searched this forum and several others relentlessly and all I've found is "what people think". No facts. So really what it boils down to is which brave soul wants to buy a supercharger and give it a try? Whoever tries it I hope has the curtesy to share the facts.

If I pay my car off early this year as planned, I will figure out the facts myself and gladly share the love with you guys and vvti.net.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
heh.

as soon as i can get my hands on the money for one - which should be happening in a few months - it's likely to be my next major project.

def post up, though...if you get to it before me i'll be picking your brain on it.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
As for the Teins, the Tein S-techs (~1.8" drop) are one of the most popular springs for the 00-02 Corollas. Tein S-Tech's and Tociko HP (Blue) Shocks would give you a low firm ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tokico's, huh? They seem to be the best around. I heard Progress Group made some springs designed to maximize the potential of the stock Shocks, but i don't know which model Corolla's they were introducing them for. It seems a lot of you guys have the 2001-2002 Corolla's, and quite bit of you have the S model for these years. I have a nice deep blue S with some 15x6.5 Proline wheels. The wheels are 8-spokes and Gunmetal, and really make the car look nice, but as with every Corolla, the ass end is raised like an off road truck now. I'm hoping the Teins make ride a bit lower, although the tires do rub now, so low may be a no go. BTW, what's with the "no camber adjustment" situation in the rear of these corolla's? I was gonna dial in some camber to save a bit of rubbing, but i got it on the lift and was like "what the hell?" Everything is like solid. I'm seriously thinking of trying to just swap out the stock setup for maybe the celica's double-wishbones, but i need a celica.....hmm.....

BTW, i was looking into an old thread about the 3zz wannabe builders, and being used to engine stroking and displacement (4g64 hybrids and building), that whole debate just totally didn't add up. Anybody ever follow through with that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
well. i emailed TRD, and soon we will find out.

In the mean time, have you guys seen those Electric Supercharger? heard of any success stories?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
HAAAAAAAHAhahahahahaha

they are trash...i think there's one that's kindof legit, but the ebay specials are a waste of money.

·
Will Work For Boost
FX16 GTS
196 Posts
Is fitment the only issue though? What about the ECU?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
ECU may/may not match up. the "fitment" issue relates to the battery, radiator, and hood. the hood would need to be custom made(with either a bump, scoop, or cowl), the radiator needs to be changed to I BELIEVE a smaller one, and the battery just needs to be relocated.

·
Will Work For Boost
FX16 GTS
196 Posts
falnfenix said:
ECU may/may not match up. the "fitment" issue relates to the battery, radiator, and hood. the hood would need to be custom made(with either a bump, scoop, or cowl), the radiator needs to be changed to I BELIEVE a smaller one, and the battery just needs to be relocated.
How do you know this for sure? Has anyone really tried a test-fit? I keep hearing the same thing, but no one has stepped up and said "I've tried it". I would gladly wrestle with the space issue if there are not any technical issues (ie ECU). It's a piece-o-cake to relocate battery to the trunk, modify the hood, and radiator. I've already done that stuff before :)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
well, i know of the fitment issues...someone around me tried it.

we just don't know about the ECU.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
funny, that looks a LOT like a photoshop.

·
Will Work For Boost
FX16 GTS
196 Posts
Wow, your good. Now photoshop yourself flying off a cliff. :hammer:

·
Will Work For Boost
FX16 GTS
196 Posts
falnfenix said:
raven, to whom was that directed?
The person who went to the trouble of photoshoping that thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts