Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with a 2001 stalling? It usually happens when I start it (not all the time). It starts fine, revs up a bit and then drops down to 500 or 600 rpm (normally around 800). Sometimes it will just die after that and sometimes not. When I try to take off with it, it has absoutely no throttle response. I've cleaned the inside of the throttle body, run a few bottles of injector cleaner through it, put in a new set of iridium plugs, and it still occasionally does it. No codes in the computer are left. Any ideas or solutions?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum hose has split or come off. Check around the engine. Also check for a hissing noise!

·
BigWilly ;)
2001 Toyota Corolla
431 Posts
mayb fuel filter/pump? my corolla has a irratic idle @ startup too.. but it didn't as of yet stall yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. As it turns out, besides cleaning the throttle body (with intake cleaner and a toothbrush), the MAP sensor was dirty also. Cleaning it has cleared the problem. The car has 146,000km (90,000 miles) on it and it was time. Changing the spark plugs made a significant increase in fuel milage. I was getting around 40 mpg before and now up to around 43 mpg. The manual says not to change them until 160,000km, but they were due at 145,000km. Stick with the Iridium's, even though they're more expensive. Don't forget to put antisieze on them as aluminum heads and steel plugs don't go well together for extended lengths of time. As far as changing the headlight question, no I haven't changed them. I've tried to find halo's for it, but I guess they're not made for the 2001/02's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts