Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latch is not catching. I've looked at the latch and catch mechanism, which appears very simple, yet I can't tell what's not working.
The glove box door hinges and handle move freely.
Looking for at least a work-around to keep it closed.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good chance there is something jamming up the handle, or the receiver is bent or loose so it does not make the hook push the handle back when you latch it.

If closing it does NOT move the handle back then the receiver adjustment is most likely to help you, after checking that the screws are tight.

The part that is left when you unlatch the glove box door is the receiver (bent steel rod).

If the hook on the handle is broken off then you need to get another one ( I think I have a whole glove box lid in my parts).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed! All screws were tight and the latch hook was intact; the receiver looked straight but clearly couldn't be pushing the latch hook back to catch in the way you explained, so I just gently bent it forward. Thanks Old Mechanic, for explaining how this works!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
LOL, I was cleaning up under my porch and found a grey glove box complete, made me think about this thread. Great to see a repair without time wasted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts