Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 Highlander with a v-6. It has about 190000. Right now I am getting a code of P0302 that flashes sometimes. I've installed new plugs and moved the coils around. No luck. It burns oil. I took it to a Japanese auto repair shop. They said it has low compression in cylinder #2 (60#) and some sludge. They said I need a new engine. :help:

I have 2 questions. Is it worth it? It seems the cost to have a rebuilt engine put in is $4-6,000. The highlander is pretty good in and out. I know of no other problems.

If you think it is worth it, does anyone have suggestions of a shop in the Pacific Northwest that could do this?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sounds identical to what happened with mine. Your current engine might be able to be repaired, but unless you're going to do the work yourself, it would probably be cheaper just to drop in a replacement. In any event, it's going to be expensive:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8...2007/650929-low-compression-one-cylinder.html

This is why I wouldn't buy a pre-05 Highlander with the V6 unless I was allowed to run a compression test and also pull the front valve cover to make sure everything was clean inside.

·
AvConsult
3,675 Posts
Although if it produces 60 psi in the weak cylinder it might not be a burnt valve. Might be worth the minor expense of giving it a top end cleaner and a can of engine flush to see if that cleans it up and improves compression. Worth a shot before sinking $4k?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: otavalo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have found someone who is kind of local who will install an engine for $4614. See below for details. It comes with a 2 year 24,000 mile warrantee. Again, my question is, is it worth it? I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Remanufactured engine- $2895 w/core Gasket set- included Timing set- included Spark plugs- $44 Oil filter- $16 Coolant- $29 Oil/grease- $44 Thermostat- $36 Water pump- $180 (recommended) Rebuilt fuel injectors- $160 (highly recommended) Labor- R/R engine, clean/inspect/transfer accessories, cooling system flush, engine break-in procedures- $1250

·
Registered
795 Posts
New engine for 4600... Is it "worth it"? That's a subjective question.

The Highlander resale values are still pretty high. I don't remember for sure, but I looked into it when mine was on the table. You should check cars.com, autotrader, craigslist, and ebay for Highlanders of your year for sale near you. That'll give you a good idea of what the car would be worth retail.

So you're asking if it's worth it to put 4600 into a car that will be worth ??K when you're done?

I can't answer that, but here's some things to think about:

You couldn't replace it for 4600.
Assuming it's not beat up elsewhere, you couldn't get anything else as nice for 4600.
That sure is a lot of money to throw at a 13 year old car.
Only you know the condition of the rest of it. Is the rest of it flawless or does it have other issues?
Do you have the time to wait for a shop to do the replacement or do you need something sooner?
You won't get squat for it on a trade in with a rough running engine and a glowing check engine light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I am not looking at resell value. I just don't have much money to throw around and I am wondering if this is the first step down a road that will need a new transmission or whatever.

It looks really nice. Interior is a 8 or 9. Exterior is about the same.

The only things that I can find that is wrong with it is the passenger window won't roll up from the driver's seat and the head lights are loose or need aiming.

What happens if I drive it till it dies? I was told that it is 'dumping gas' into the cat and will ruin it. I know the cat is expensive, but will a bad cat hurt anything but the environment?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I am wondering if this is the first step down a road that will need a new transmission or whatever.
Haha! Of course it is! It's a 13 year old used car with 190 thousand miles on it!

Stuff is going to break. Stuff is going to wear out. Stuff is going to go wrong. Leaks are gonna happen. Plastic parts are going to fade and crack. Upholstery is going to tear. Brakes are going to need to be rebuilt. Exhaust will fall off. Hatch struts are going to bonk you on the head on cold days.

The crystal ball trick though, is to figure out if the cost of all that stuff that's going to go wrong over the next few years will cost you less than the additional cost of a newer car or not. Is the newer car worth the additional cost for less aggravation?

Without laying hands on it, I can't offer any info as to what will happen if you just drive it as is. All I can tell you is that 60PSI compression on one cylinder is basically "dead". Nothing good will come from driving it like that for long.

·
Registered
01 Highlander V6 4WD
113 Posts
The only things that I can find that is wrong with it is the passenger window won't roll up from the driver's seat and the head lights are loose or need aiming.
The passenger window issue is straight forward. Mine had the same problem and I had someone fix it for me. In the United States those jobs might be too expensive to get someone do it for you but you can always try a junk yard. Just get a control board from a junk HL and replace it on yours. Done!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.