Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Rod from Mississippi. I am new here and really need some help. I have a 2001 tacoma 4 door 4X4, v-6 automatic. Two days ago I went to start my truck after it had been parked for about 15 minutes and it hits and runs for about a second and dies. after that it will just spin over and wont try to start at all. Gas pedal position makes no difference. If you turn the key off and back on it will repeat the same thing. After two days of messing with it I have discovered that if i turn the key to ON on and wait about 5 seconds before i crank it, it starts right up. I had driven it all that day and made many stops without problems, this just developed out of the blue. I hope someone here has had a similar experience and can offer some insight. I have changed the fuel filter, air filter, checked vacuum lines, throttle body looks clean. I have checked all the relays/ fuses. Seem ok. No check engine or other lights are coming on. When it starts, it runs and performs perfectly. I have had it since new, never had trouble starting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rod

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like a bad ignition coil. This happened to my Corolla over the winter. It warms up and dies, then will start when the coil cools down. The coil will test ok with an ohm meter, so you might just want to try another one from another truck if you can. I took a chance and bought the coil which solved the problem. If possible, check your fuel pressure before spending the money to be sure. You may see a little burn mark on the coil once you remove it. That is a good indicator, too.

Just bought a Tacoma yesterday.....should have done it years ago.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
eric496 said:
Sounds like a bad ignition coil. This happened to my Corolla over the winter. It warms up and dies, then will start when the coil cools down. The coil will test ok with an ohm meter, so you might just want to try another one from another truck if you can. I took a chance and bought the coil which solved the problem. If possible, check your fuel pressure before spending the money to be sure. You may see a little burn mark on the coil once you remove it. That is a good indicator, too.

Just bought a Tacoma yesterday.....should have done it years ago.
The Tacoma uses mutliple coil packs. It doesn't have a single ignition coil.

I would have a look at your fuel pressure. You checked relays, but did you check the circut opening relay behind the dash? That is the one that controlls the fuel pump. It has been known to cause start up problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts