Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm new here, first I would like to say hi and introduce my Truck. I just bought a 2001 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Extended Cab SR5 Black.
I have had it for like 3 weeks now and well when I go to start it, it cranks fine, but takes like 1-2 seconds for the engine to catch. Kinda long, but not to bad. Well today when I got off work I went to start it, and it cranked for like 5 whole seconds before it caught. Its a pretty new truck for something like this to be wrong. It has 48k miles. I am guessing it might be the fuel pressure, but thats totally a guess. Anybody else have this problem, or any ideas on what it might be? Thanks so much

Josh

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try this

Well I know if it is your fuel pressure could be the problem, but that could also cause a problem with driving. Sounds like you have a leak down problem because the fuel rails keep PSI for start up. or it could be a simple problem of vapor lock up. this happens in high tempurtures and you might have not noticed during the colder months but now that it is summer and it might happen more frequntly now. I would recommend before starting your car open the gas cap to relive the pressure in the tank, if this sloves the problem your problem might be some sort of constriction or cloged line. also could be too much gas in the tank when you fill it up. There are many things this could be so after you try these things send a reply and i'll think more on this so i can help out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Toyota V6's are known for cranking longer. They are also known for not starting once in a while. Toyota Motor Co. refuses to admit that there is a problem and keeps their dealer under control by having them issue "cannot duplicate problem" report which protects them from Lemon Law.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an older v 6 and have never had it not start but the cranking time is longer due to it being older and not the 3.4l v6 of the new models. I am surprised to hear that Toyota would do such a thing!!!
But hey i've worked in the industry and it does not surprise me, that a company would do this, just that toyota does it surprises me. oh well guess even the best have to fall sometimes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the replies, I tried the gas cap thing, and it seemed about the same. As for filling up the tank to much that also might be the problem, I do fill it pretty far. But even after it has gone down a ways it still seems to do it. It might be just a normal engine thing like the others said. I am going to take it in prolly next monday to have them check the fuel pressure. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all the help!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
They did that on mine too... fuel pressure will come out ok.
Try this, and I will bet you a buck you find it to be true: every time this happens the engine is "slightly warm".
I define "slightly warm" as a car that was driven to operating temperature and then sat for 2-4 hours.
There has been speculation that this is becuase of a bad:
1. fuel pump
2. regulator
3. IAC
None of which is true. I think the computer flooding the engine is the most correct theory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, there. I have a 2002 Highlander and have experienced the same problem. Driving out to the desert doesn't present a problem if I drive out at night. Driving out during the day in the summer heat and after about a 2-4 hour delay, the car cranks but doesn't start. Had to have it towed to the dealership there and they told me it was my aftermarket alarm system (which they removed) and my air flow meter (which they serviced) at about $250 for both. 4 weeks later I drove back from the desert midday to LA and about 2 hours after the drive car wouldn't start. Wouldn't start remainder of the day, next morning it would. Drove to Toyota dealership, told me they "couldn't recreate the problem", I printed off this thread and haven't heard from them since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good luck to you, I have been meaning to take mine to a mechanic that I know and trust, but haven't had time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.