Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Tacoma 4X4 , V6, automatic, that won't start. It will try to start and then die. Then it will spin over but will not try to start until I turn the key off and back on, then it repeats the same thing. Until today it would start if I left the key in the on position for 5 seconds or so before I start it. Now it wont start at all (besides the initial "hit"). I have checked it out some and have found that once It dies, it is not firing---no spark at all. Getting plenty of fuel but no spark after that initial hit. I used a spark tester and can see the spark stop as soon as engine dies. I dont know if its the ignitor or the crankshaft sensor or what? No codes, no check engine or any other warning lights. Please give any ideas or help? Thanks Rod

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was wondering what you found out about your tacoma. i have a 2004 and it would take decide that it wouldnt start but later on it would start up. the other day it decided that it doesnt want to start. right now am going to have to take it to the dealership to get them to look at it. an advice of what i could try before i do that would be nice. i am in college and dont really have money to pay them atleast $60 an hour to determine the problem

·
Joe
2005 Hilux Tray Top
270 Posts
nothing wrong with battery or starter--it will spin over forever--it just won't start.
It could still be battery or voltage related at least because if the voltage to the electronics is lower than 10.5 to 11 Volts there wont be any spark also but it will spin over.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is a TSB out for some Tacoma's, not sure if includes the 2001's, but it basically covers your problem. There is a updated wiring harness that has a different ground, which helps to stop the hard starts. My 2003 did the same thing yesterday when I left (or tried) to leave school. I had to crank it a couple of times and didn't want to run. Hope this helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts