Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone verify if there is a quick way to view the timing Belt in a 2001 to check for condition without having to go through the typical timing belt replacement work?
It has been suggested to me that you can just take a cover off to view it, but I am not sure.

Thanks,

Ed

·
イリジウム
11,758 Posts
To remove the upper cover I think the dog bone plus maybe a couple of things might have to be removed.

But the top timing cover is your key. You will also notice a rubber plug to allow for retensioning as well as the belt stretches with use. Might want to leave well enough alone however.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,560 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

Do you know which engine do you have? In the case of the 5vzfe engine, you can remove the 8 bolts that hold the upper timing cover to check on the condition of the timing belt. How many miles do you have on the engine? When was the last time the timing belt was changed? Was the water pump changed at that time? Are you losing any coolant? ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the Welcomes and Replies.
I am not sure of the engine code, I just picked it up the other day.
the dealer selling the 4Runner said they looked at the belt by removing a cover and it didn't look frayed or worn. I was a bit skeptical of that answer.
It has 119700 miles on a 2001, and there are no service records showing the belt had been changed. No leaks either.
I know the Toyota recommendation I sat 90K because it's a belt not a chain.
It's my first Toyota so I'm not sure how far I can push it.
Thanks,
Ed

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,560 Posts
I would work the price to discount the cost of replacing the timing belt then. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts