Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Avalon is a classy comfortable and quiet ride, with the accompanying Toyota reliability and dependability.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Every once in a while I think of selling my Avalon, and then I realize that I would have to be nucking futs to do that.

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice!! I have 240,000 on my 2000 Avalon XL and except for nagging emissions issues which hit my wallet for the annual PA bogus emissions inspections (clogged catalytic converter etc) it's a great car. My son uses it now while at college and I'm hoping the old gal will keep going until he graduates and gets on with real life. LOL

Shopping a new used leftover silver 2013 XLS Premium right now. Getting very close to a deal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I change the oil every 4000 miles, I do a lot of highway driving and that really makes a car last longer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy cow - you're the Mike who killed the mileage thread (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/155-2nd-generation-2000-2004/99403-who-mileage-champ-5.html) with your 447k mile post there. I was in the middle of writing a post about how the guy in the links above had just broken the record set by the guy in that thread when I went back to check and realized you were the same person.

Very cool!

One question for you Mike -- how often do you get the oil changed?
I change the oil every 4000

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice!! I have 240,000 on my 2000 Avalon XL and except for nagging emissions issues which hit my wallet for the annual PA bogus emissions inspections (clogged catalytic converter etc) it's a great car. My son uses it now while at college and I'm hoping the old gal will keep going until he graduates and gets on with real life. LOL

Shopping a new used leftover silver 2013 XLS Premium right now. Getting very close to a deal.
I had the same issue with emissions and replaced the gas cap numerous times, and used high test, also disconnected the battery and sometimes after reconnecting it, the engine light did not come on after 100 miles, and I hustled and got my emissions test done.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the same issue with emissions and replaced the gas cap numerous times, and used high test, also disconnected the battery and sometimes after reconnecting it, the engine light did not come on after 100 miles, and I hustled and got my emissions test done.
Believe me I tried that. The diagnostic readers are smart. They know whether the entire emissions system has cycled through. I stood there with the guy ad he wouldn't pass it until it cleared and of course when it cleared through, the light came on. So, $500 later the light magically disappears enough to pass emissions. I drive away with new stickers and the light comes back on 25 miles later. That's why I call it bogus, PA government imposed BS. The car is fine aside from that. Pretty irritating. But I have a plan B.

·
VVT-1MZ + ES5spd
Toyota Corolla
2,017 Posts
Believe me I tried that. The diagnostic readers are smart. They know whether the entire emissions system has cycled through. I stood there with the guy ad he wouldn't pass it until it cleared and of course when it cleared through, the light came on. So, $500 later the light magically disappears enough to pass emissions. I drive away with new stickers and the light comes back on 25 miles later. That's why I call it bogus, PA government imposed BS. The car is fine aside from that. Pretty irritating. But I have a plan B.

What might that be? PA inspection is the easiest thing to pass if you know the laws. One of my cars has no cats at all (I removed them) and it still passes. Getting an Avalon through inspection is child's play.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats Mike. I have a 97 Avalon and live here in the Triad (Lewisville-Clemmons). I only have 242k on mine. It is a good thing you are planning on slowing down on the miles. But a million would be rather epic! :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts