Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Luke, I telecommute much more now, thus, the miles have slowed down considerable, even though, I still drive 20K per year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What might that be? PA inspection is the easiest thing to pass if you know the laws. One of my cars has no cats at all (I removed them) and it still passes. Getting an Avalon through inspection is child's play.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
I'm all ears..........help me with this childs play please......how is removing cats legal?

·
Registered
2011 Camry LE
34 Posts
What a great story! That's a nice Avalon you have there. To think you have 500K miles on it, that's nuts.

Have you kept track of the gas mileage? What have you averaged for mpg cruising up to NY?

Happy Trails!

Josh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
What a great story! That's a nice Avalon you have there. To think you have 500K miles on it, that's nuts.

Have you kept track of the gas mileage? What have you averaged for mpg cruising up to NY?

Happy Trails!

Josh
I don't really keep track of my gas mileage, but when I did I get about 26 on the highway, as I tend to drive faster then the speed limit

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats on your longevity!! 4,000 mile oci's, what oil and filter you using (please don't tell me whatever's on sale, that would really blow my mind)?

·
Registered
37 Posts
how many miles are you up to now?

today, 12.25.16, I have 506,000 on my 2001 xls. I would have more but can drive my company car for personal use so I do. my sister drives the xls some just to keep the battery up. I'm the second owner and normally change oil between 3 and 4k. finally broke down and replaced the rear three sparkplugs. I had put 150k on them and they honestly didn't look too bad. removing everything that I did was a chore, but I did it. going to attempt a timing belt change here soo

·
Registered
23 Posts
So what mechanical have your changed on the car? Alternator, starter, ect. What else went out? Wondering what I should keep an eye out for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
right now I have 507,500 on it. like I said, I just don't drive it much since having a company provided vehicle. My sister will drive it some. stays in the garage but always cranks right up.

radiator, two calipers, alternator replaced over the last 10 years. most recently, the driver seat heater switch quit and I had to replace the climate control unit, the switch is part of it and couldn't be sourced separately. no big deal--------found a used one that worked fine. that was December '16. then about the same time, one of the variable timing control valve went bad causing the engine to operate erratically. I had to have my mechanic diagnosis it and he replaced with new OEM valve. wasn't cheap, $200 plus. those are the only items outside normal maintenance things. I think I will try and tackle the timing belt and components soon. not too long ago, I replaced all the spark plugs, and enjoyed removing all the intake items to get to the back ones. hope my experience will help someone.

·
Registered
506 Posts
congrats, Mike!

Have a 2003 Avalon with 182,000 miles on it. It's in storage right now. Pretty bad hail damage, but I intend to use it as my go to work car...as soon as my '99 Solara quits (if ever, with 275,000 presently on it).

Also have a 2004 Avalon with 102,000 miles on it. Wife's car. Still runs like brand new.

Had to put a new alternator on the '03 at around 135,000. Did the second timing belt/water pump at 182,000.

As for the '04, its pretty much all original. Did a new timing belt/water pump at 94,000.

Use Pennzoil Platinum and NAPA Gold oil filters on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I wonder who has the lowest mileage on their 2000-2004 Avalon? Mine has 94K, but I'm sure there are cars with a lot less.

·
Registered
285 Posts
my co worker has a little over 300k on his 04 Avalon with the original timing belt. True story
Not smart....when it lets go it's going to cost him!
I had an 87 Camry (2L, 4cyl) with 870,000km (approx 500,000mi). Used "whatever was on sale" synthetic or synthetic blend oil and filters with 5,000km (3,000mi) oil change intervals since new. Never had a single problem...never burned oil.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts