Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ever change radiator hoses? My mechanic broke the radiator at the top hose when trying to remove it so in addition to a new radiator, we changed hoses, but they didn't look bad at 220K.
I replaced all 4 strut/spring assy's at 150K. There was a clunk from the rear going over bumps that sounded like something rolling about in the trunk. Eliminated suspension and exhaust bushings, read the strut pads can cause this. Got a set (KYB) from Tire Rack and they fixed the noise but more importantly the difference in ride/handling was a remarkable improvement. I believe that shocks wear out gradually and one becomes slowly accustomed to the degradation.
Would be nice to know if/how often you change ATF and coolant?

·
Toyota Newbie
341 Posts
Not smart....when it lets go it's going to cost him!
I had an 87 Camry (2L, 4cyl) with 870,000km (approx 500,000mi). Used "whatever was on sale" synthetic or synthetic blend oil and filters with 5,000km (3,000mi) oil change intervals since new. Never had a single problem...never burned oil.

I told him that. he does not care. The car has paid for itself many times over, he said. When it launches, its going to the scrapyard,

·
Look beyond the marque
167 Posts
'00 has ~189K. Driven mostly highway. OCI @ 12 months or 10K miles. House brand (CarQuest) synthetic 710 and synthetic media filter (purolator boss).

·
01 Avalon 298k, 04 Avalon 150k
42 Posts
One was on sale with 48,000 last summer -- someone got it before me - What a bummer! Ended up buying 04 with 135 - still a mere child.
I looked at it - had some cobwebs under the hood. I was the grandfathers car that family was selling.

·
01 Avalon 298k, 04 Avalon 150k
42 Posts
It's not the timing belt that is the longeveity surprise - it's a surprise that one water pump lasted over 500,000. That is amazing. After one seized at about 145,000 and left me stranded over 4th of July weekend - I change it at 130,00 - still a stretch over the 90,000 recommended.

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
182 Posts
It's not the timing belt that is the longeveity surprise - it's a surprise that one water pump lasted over 500,000. That is amazing. After one seized at about 145,000 and left me stranded over 4th of July weekend - I change it at 130,00 - still a stretch over the 90,000 recommended.
How often did you change the COOLANT, ad did you use Toyota OEM RED? Not changing the coolant every 3 years or 30K miles means that the lubricant will stop doing its job, and that any "crud" in the system will "visit" the bearings in the water pump.

There is a great thread here which touches on the differences between Toyota OEM pink, Toyota OEM red, and aftermarket green/orange coolants.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts