Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new timing belt and water pump on my 2001 toyota camry. The old belt broke. I tested it with the alternator, serpentine belt, and upper timing belt cover off. ( to make sure the belt had proper tension. It ran smoothly, but the positive wire for the alternator shorted to the exaust manifold. I shut it down and I had to replace the 100 amp alternator fuse. I put it all back together and now it runs really rough. And is hard to start. It does not idle steady. When idling it slows way down and stalls. I rechecked the timing and it is spot on. I did a compression test and it had pressures of 215 psi #1, 210 psi #2, 210 psi #3, and 210 psi #4. I am not getting g any codes, but I have not driven it since changing the timing belt. Any Ideas? I have been checking ground wires and am about to test the crank and cam sensors....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine ran like crap with the wrong alternator in it, until it quit and I got the right one.
That short you described may have took out one of the ECU fuses. Now it's in limp mode?
Check fuses( low hanging fruit) 123_1.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tested both the battery, and the alternator. I have also checked all the fuses both in the cabin and under the hood. I also cleaned up all my ground connections. I have ordered a new camshaft position sensor. I am going to try that next.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2008 Camry LE
3,163 Posts
Hope you did oil pump seals while back there, otherwise you’ll be doing the whole job over again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I did not do the oil pump seal. I was just trying to get the car to work. If it works well It will be worth diving back into it in a year or so...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the cause. It looks like one of the crank sensor wires was contacting the ground shield surrounding it. I repaired the short and it runs again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts