Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s driven 100 miles one month ago, and has been sitting since. Odometer reading 241k km, i.e.
150k miles, originally from Canada. Now I can’t start it, and can’t jump start it. The console lights and inside cabin light come on just by the battery, but no cranking sound at all even when using a jump pack. I could jump start a Camry with completely dead battery with the same jump pack. Is it most likely a bad starter? Thanks a lot!

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,480 Posts
What's the battery voltage? Have you tried tapping on the starter while cranking the engine?

Check your starter cable at the starter. Also, check the battery terminals for corrosion. Clean the battery posts and reconnect the battery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the battery voltage? Have you tried tapping on the starter while cranking the engine?

Check your starter cable at the starter. Also, check the battery terminals for corrosion. Clean the battery posts and reconnect the battery.
My multimeter is not working, so no way to know the voltage of the battery for now. But I could jump start a Camry with completely dead battery with the same jump pack. Inside cabin light and console lights come on just by the battery. Battery terminals and post are cleaned. Heard of the trick of tapping the starter, but I didn’t do that, didn’t know how and will google. Thanks!

·
2002 corolla ce
1,467 Posts
Fyi it's not a tap. You need to beat the crap out of the starter. Hit it hard but just light enough not to break it off. Best done as a tag team one beats it the other turns the key. My old 91 corolla I had to do that too many many times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2001 Corolla also and had a starter issue about 10 years ago. Sometimes it would start but usually not. I researched online and found a poster who described the same issue and said it was the contacts in the starter having gotten worn. He sold the contact parts on his site. I tried calling local repair shops and no one would just change the contacts and I could not find the contacts at the local parts outlets. Everyone wanted to change the whole starter. I took a chance and bought the contacts from him. About $10 or so. Pulled the starter and changed the contacts. It is still starting well over 10 years later. It was a pain to pull the starter with poor access from below. I could barely get my hand on the bolts but did manage to get the job done. Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They sell those solenoid rebuild kits on ebay for maybe $15 (last time I checked). I used one of those kits on my parents 98 Corolla and it's been running strong almost three years now.

It is a pain to remove the starter on a 98 (not sure if it is the same on an 01). There are a couple good videos on youtube to help. Removing battery and oil filter a must.

Starter Solenoid Rebuild Kit... https://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSO-STARTER-SOLENOID-REPAIR-REBUILD-KIT-CONTACTS-DENSO-TOYOTA-SUBARU-Parts/191730041208?fits=Year:2001|Model:Corolla|Make:Toyota&hash=item2ca4004178:g:fjsAAOSwmPlcOPRU:sc:USPSFirstClass!02359!US!-1

Starter Removal...

Solenoid Rebuild Kit Install...
- This video shows complete starter rebuild, but this video also shows the best solenoid rebuild steps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts