Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So my fiancee has a 2001 Toyota Echo, her dad and I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Last week it broke down and sounded like a fuel filter problem because it was sputtering and then died. Changed the fuel filter wouldn't start. We went out and picked up an OBDII code detector. We attached it and it spit back a P0340--a problem with the camshaft position sensor circuit. The wires look fine so we changed the sensor it self. It still wouldn't start and the code reader is now spitting back P0100, P0110, P0340, P1656. Any suggestions other than taking it to a shop? that may be the ultimate situation but we're trying to avoid it.

Thanks in advance,
Tatsel

·
Registered
87 Posts
this is just a completely uneducated random thought

are all wires to the ecu connected and free of bites/nicks?

the ecu is by the passenger footwell, under the fan casing and blower motor, easily seen by removing the glove box

·
Registered
08 Yaris/01 Echo
217 Posts
There is an outside chance that you got a bad tank of gas and the sputtering is water trying to go through the system,couple of bottles of water displacement fluid would solve the problem.Just a guess

·
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
2009 Yaris Sedan
138 Posts
Those cars were all recalled to replace the crankshaft position sensor. The letter that went out said it was an "Important Safety Recall!" (Presumably because it'll shut down your engine and leave you stuck.) If that one hasn't been been taken in for the recall, it needs to be. Took just long enough in the shop for me to drink a cup of coffee. If it's the camshaft position sensor, it'll be a similar job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.