Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Echo's speedometer seems to work fine and accurate unless the car goes over 50mph. When the car is moving faster than 50mph, the needle stays put at 50mph. When the car slows back down below 50mph, the speedometer begins reading accurately again, as long as it is moving slower than 50mph.
*(I say 50mph, but it's been a year since Ive driven it so I cannot remember the exact speed the speedometer needle reaches and stays.)

There are no other noticeable issues with the car that would associate with this issue. After hours of searching online, it sounds like it could be anything from a broken solder on the speedometer to a failing sensor to a bad connection. I have not been able to find any info online of anyone reporting the exact same symptom either, which has made it difficult.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just don't drive faster than 50MPH then, problem solved--you'll fit in like those slow Prius drivers, hahahah

I would check all fuses--make sure you got all good ones. It could be the speed sensor, other than that, maybe something weird with the actual needle spindle itself which would necessitate either somehow repairing just that unit, or the entire cluster---but honestly--this isn't a GM car (notorious for gauge issues), so I would highly doubt its the cluster/spindle itself--but something feeding data to to make it move no more than 50MPH. It sounds like the speed sensor. If it was my echo, that would be the first 2 things I would check: fuses and speed sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went ahead and checked all of the fuses, which were all good. Took apart the gauges in the dash and wiped all the electrical connections of any dirt/dust. I didn't notice anything else that I did. Put the gauges back together, test drove the car and the speedometer read correctly over 50mph.

Maybe the speedometer needle was stuck? I don't know, but it's all better now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I went ahead and checked all of the fuses, which were all good. Took apart the gauges in the dash and wiped all the electrical connections of any dirt/dust. I didn't notice anything else that I did. Put the gauges back together, test drove the car and the speedometer read correctly over 50mph.

Maybe the speedometer needle was stuck? I don't know, but it's all better now.
Job well done! $tealsership would have charged you $120+ to have done the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts