Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my girlfriend has a 2001 Echo and it seems to have an intermittant issue of making a churpy squeek/squeal sound whenever the car is in drive. If in park, noise doesnt happen. Sound seems to amplify when the heater fan is on, almost seems vibration related. But issue becomes aparant regardless if heater is on or not. Anyone familar with this issue, or might know how to fix it? Thanks, Natas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does it usually happen sitting stopped at a stop light? There are a few potential culprits. Check the strap that holds the battery down - I had that loosen up slightly and that made a squeaky noise. Next, make sure her belt is in good shape. Mine didn't look too bad after a cursory inspection, but it was actually pretty cracked and was consequently slipping just a little. That was enough to cause a squeak under loads, i.e heater or AC. Replaced the belt and it was quieter.

There's also a really high-pitched whistle the Echo makes usually while driving at very low RPMs and that's apparently a design issue in the manifold. The mechanic at the dealer says he's seen it on many Echos and there's not much you can do with it (not everyone can even hear it).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts