Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My 2001 v6 camry transmission is down (auto) and I will replace it from junkyard. I was thinking to replace it with other model tran. With 5 speed!!
I guess 5 speed t came on 2006? Any ideas?!
Any 5 speed t from Toyota or lexes can fit there without changing anything else?

My target is to get lower RPM on hi-speed.
:chug:

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
the gen4/gen1 solara came optional with a 5 speed so you could replace it from another gen4 or gen1 solara. However, youll have to replace a bunch of parts to perform the swap. you may want to just replace the original tranny unless your confident in your wrenching abilities.

searching here and on solaraguy will yeild more info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi again,

i bought 1MZ-fe Transmission from Japanees car. so far so good.
after installing, i wanted to flush the ATF so i read on the dipstick "use dexron iii"

my Q is:
is toyota ATF pn# 08886-81015 (Type T-IV) okay for my tranny??

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
hi again,

i bought 1MZ-fe Transmission from Japanees car. so far so good.
after installing, i wanted to flush the ATF so i read on the dipstick "use dexron iii"

my Q is:
is toyota ATF pn# 08886-81015 (Type T-IV) okay for my tranny??

No. Never use anything other than dex3. Also on a junkyard pull I would probably drop the pan and see if its clean or not. Doing a full flush on a old transmission will kill it pretty quick.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i used T-IV to flush and refill my transmission?? what to do now !!

my new tran. is from 2005 japanees car.. again the dipstick says use dexron II or III.

do i need to flush again?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
i used T-IV to flush and refill my transmission?? what to do now !!

my new tran. is from 2005 japanees car.. again the dipstick says use dexron II or III.

do i need to flush again?
Well find out if the 2005 japanese car used t-iv. Its possible that by 2005 the transmissions are backwards compatibly with it.

However, if anything weird starts happening (weird up/downshifts) FLUSH IT ASAP.

If you wanna be safe just flush it now preventatively. Toyotas arent to anal about fluid type, but better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update:
i found that my transmission is from 2000 Pronard (Avalon)
in toyota "Technical Service Bulletin" they say Dex III for this model. and T-IV for new models.
also on the dipstick "Dex II or Dex III only"
Dexron III = ACDelco Type III (H) and some others
http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Specs_ACDelco_DexronIII.pdf
http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Brochure_Transmission_Fluid.pdf

-------

my mistake :
i used Toyota T-IV fo flush and fill
i keept it for long time (about 7000 mil)

what i notice?:
last week shifing become strange. spicially after a long-Hi-speed travel. shifting time is longer..

action:
i drained the T-IV and flush it with DexIII then fill it with Dex III (ACDelco III)
yet i didnt try it on long travel. but it looks okay in city

My advice :):
never flush a junk yard transmission. spicially a clean one (like mine :()

Q:
am I still in safe zone?? is the strange shifing a signe of early damage?? or it will be fine with the new Dex III.

thanks

·
イリジウム
13,506 Posts
In the US the V6 uses A541E transmission. It can use only Dexron III type of ATF, NOT type T-IV.

The T-IV has friction modifiers and will cause the transmission to slip. This sounded like was the case you experienced.

update:
i found that my transmission is from 2000 Pronard (Avalon)
in toyota "Technical Service Bulletin" they say Dex III for this model. and T-IV for new models.
also on the dipstick "Dex II or Dex III only"
Dexron III = ACDelco Type III (H) and some others
http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Specs_ACDelco_DexronIII.pdf
http://www.acdelco.com.au/PDFs/Brochure_Transmission_Fluid.pdf

-------

my mistake :
i used Toyota T-IV fo flush and fill
i keept it for long time (about 7000 mil)

what i notice?:
last week shifing become strange. spicially after a long-Hi-speed travel. shifting time is longer..

action:
i drained the T-IV and flush it with DexIII then fill it with Dex III (ACDelco III)
yet i didnt try it on long travel. but it looks okay in city

My advice :):
never flush a junk yard transmission. spicially a clean one (like mine :()

Q:
am I still in safe zone?? is the strange shifing a signe of early damage?? or it will be fine with the new Dex III.

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts