Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after the valve stem seal replacement, the vehicle has been driven nicely, good acceleration, quieter, no smoke in the morning from the tailpipe, well, at least i didn't see because it was too dark in the morning,
it was my habit to just re-fill a big bottle 5 qt mobil 1 5w-30 during oil change, and it will burn off in 3 weeks of driving.
from my observation on the engine oil dipstick, the engine oil color is still golden, like corn oil, but severely over filled, about 1 inch above the max dot.

is there bad consequences of over filling 0.5 qt of engine oil in this engine? :eek:

·
Registered
194 Posts
What @Donald E George said.

You could also swap the filter out with a new one. It will bring the level down a bit and give you a new filter if you're really worried about it. I personally use a Wix 51516 filter as it's a bigger filter and matches the specs of the smaller 57145 filter.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for the great advice
i've tried to look inside the valve cover at the oil cap refill after driven home from work, only see a little steamy smoke, and the engine oil color is still golden, like corn oil, but the engine oil dipstick still 1" beyond the max dot.
it is still too soon to tell, i have not seen the engine oil level going down, which that is exactly how i am hoping for, if that really bother me more, i will try to see if i can spill out engine oil out to make me feel better. but i remembered someone, or many on this site has mentioned the 2az engine love to be a little over-filled.

the vehicle drives and sounds fine, and much better than before.

i don't know contributed to the cause of engine improvement, i did the valve stem seals, soaked the pistons with 2 cans of seafoam for a week, and cleaned the intake manifold, throttle body all at once.
now the engine has very good low end torque, slightly tap on gas pedal will get the vehicle spun forward strong, fast and smooth, i used to avg 32 mpg many years ago, and has came down to avg 26 mpg mysteriously, but now the fuel needle has moved at a much slower pace now as i am seeing better fuel economy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've seen these engines overfilled by a whole qt, and be OK (unless you live somewhere with extreme hills, like San Francisco, then tilting of the engine could immerse the crank and froth the oil.)

·
3,406 Posts
1 inch over the top is nothing. You put in 5qts, right? The engine calls for 4.5 so nothing to worry about. They way Toyota checks for oil consumption (when they were looking at the piston fix) was to overfill the system by 1 qt then check after 1,000 miles. I would get nervous if you dumped in 6qts or more, but 5 qts is nothing to worry about at all.

·
3,406 Posts
You're good. If it really concerns you crack the oil plug and let a little dribble out. Me, I'd leave it alone.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I'm going to ask a what may seem like a very stupid question, so I am apologizing in advance.. I'm basing my question on how high the oil appears in the picture of the dipstick. That seems like more than an extra 1/2 quart to me. Are you checking the oil with the engine running?

Mike

·
3,406 Posts
I am not sure there is a correlation with quarts in the sump versus height on the stick once you go past the top dot. The pan is not uniform in size, and of course if one were to severly overfill then it would spread wide into the upper oil pan, which would mean it would not register as "high" on the stick. Basically: I have no idea if you can gauge any kind of volume in the system once you go past that top dot. There are no gradient marks on the stick. When I have put in a fill 5 qts it has risen a bit above that top dot as well, maybe about the same as in the picture. ??

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike, the picture is taken with the vehicle has been sitting on a leveled garage more than a day, cold engine, not started, not running. and about 200 miles has driven since last oil change

unable to quantify how much used engine oil was trapped in engine, i did waited 15 minutes until it was no longer dripping before plugging it, and i refilled with new 5 QT size bottle mobile 1 5W-30

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this picture was taken about 7am this morning after driven to work, hot engine, engine off, parked at leveled surface. about 300 miles since last oil change, for some reason or poor lighting in the morning, difficult for me to see where the oil stain on dipstick, very faint, I've wiped and dipped it 5 or 6 times. but seem like the oil level is unchanged.
would i see bubble or foam on dipstick if it has been severely overfilled?

·
3,406 Posts
I would not worry about it. You shouldn't burn an appreciable amount of oil in just 300 miles, so no change in the dipstick is a positive thing. Unless you did not drain out the majorly of your oil then there is no way you have too much by just putting in 5 qts. I would leave it alone and check it again in 1,000 miles if I were you. If it really is bugging you crack the bolt and let a quarter quart or so come out. That will take you a couple of minutes and ease all your worries.

Also it is very hard to tell the level with new oil. Wipe it, pull it, angle it so the light shines on it. You will see a difference in the sheen, which is the line. The more you dip and pull the more likely you get oil in the tube and cause it to stick to the stick all over the place. If it is not low then you are fine, its not that critical where you are at now.

This is clearly concerning you so my best advice is just drain some out and let it stop causing you concern, sleep better at night.

·
3,406 Posts
My reading is that it calls for 4 qts. From the Owner's Manual:
Not sure what the OP vehicle is - I believe my manual for the 2009 SE 2.4L is 4.5qt with filter. Would have to double check but pretty sure that is what I paint-penned onto the cap.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Indeed both of you are right, there is no dispute, for my 2002 Camry 2.4L, a quick scan Toyota.com owner's manual said 4.0 qt, with 5w-30, or 10w-30 oil, for 2007 or higher of the 2.4L, 4.5 qt, 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
bronzemaxell
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing