Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
There is no substitute.
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just found out at DVNLT today, that the 2002 camry v6 front disc size is about .5" larger than the 2002 solara v6 disc. the caliper is noticably larger also...

hmm i want to do this conversion.......!!!!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Ummm... WHY????? :grin:

If you are going to spend the money get cross drilled or even big brake upgrade, if bigger brakes is what you want.

·
There is no substitute.
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2002-01-21 16:04, speedemn wrote:
If you are going to spend the money get cross drilled or even big brake upgrade, if bigger brakes is what you want.
Dude, one thing that I hold back for cross-drilled disc is that the area of the surface is decreased and it's not very effective in winter (need to warm up). And real 13" big brake kit upgrade cost at least $2K USD.

Like SMC said, if this can be done it'll be the most cost effective upgrade.

·
Turbo-Yota power
1,774 Posts
I have cross drilled and let me tell you they dont need to warm up much just brake once at 50KPH and your good to go.I was not sure the 2002 brakes where bigger but now that I know, I might try and get some from my bud at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Dickson, I haven't experienced any warm-up times with my Brembo cross drilled rotors at all in the Winter.

Jeff, what's happening with the SS brake line deal that you had going? Any news?

·
There is no substitute.
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does that 5 people include myself? :grin:

It really depends if the 2002 disc conversion works out or not...

if it doesn't then I'm shooting at the 13" big brake kit for $2K (yea who knows when I have the $)... :razz:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well I find the standard brakes on my 2002 LE V6 to be quite good. The Disc/Drum combo on the 4 cyl was pretty weak.

Mind you I have about 260 KM on the car so its very new :smile:

Thanks,

Aziz

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
On 2002-01-21 16:50, elegantcam wrote:
Dude, one thing that I hold back for cross-drilled disc is that the area of the surface is decreased.
Yup. I agree.

I'm gonna skool you ppl on brakes so listen up. :lol:

I dunno why ppl are always making a big deal about crossdrilled, slotted, or crossdrilled + slotted rotors. :roll:

The only part that matters is were the pads contact. You start drilling holes or cutting slots into the rotor you decrease the surface area that the pads ride on.

When it comes to rotors bigger is better not slotting and drilling holes into sh*t.

And real 13" big brake kit upgrade cost at least $2K USD.
Yup. Big brakes ain't cheap.

I know some guys that roadrace Mustangs and they spent $3,000 USD on 13" vented rotors (2 piece) and 4 piston Wilwood calipers (fixed calipers). Now thats the sh*t. :grin:

I'll be running 12.19" vented rotors and 4 piston Wilwood calipers on my roadrace + drag Civic.