Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been trying to figure out what the noise is on my 2002 Camry with 187K miles. I hve a hard time describing the noise, but it was kind of like a whining noise from engine area. Noise happens mainly only when engine cold. It happened at idle in park, reverse and drive. It got a bit louder right before transmission shifts.

Disconnected accessory belt and noise was still there.

Transmission oil (Toyota type IV) smelled slightly burnt but was still red. I have owned this car for last 100K miles, I perform drain and fills at least every 30k miles.

Since it appeared to be coming from transmission, I performed an additional 2 drain and fills. Noise was still there but seemed a bit better. I waited awhile as I really didn't want to replace the transmission filter as it looked like a pain, and given my maintenance schedule I really didn't think it was necessarily. I finally replaced the transmission filter today. That was it! No significant metal shavings in pan, it did have the grey paste on both magnets. I figure the grey paste was probably what clogged this felt filter.

I have 115k miles on my 2006 camry, I plan to change the transmission filter for that one this fall!

·
イリジウム
11,647 Posts
Good to hear that solved it.

I always say the felt filter NEEDS to be periodically replaced.

·
Registered
81 Posts
my 02 just did this, whining at start up got quieter once warm, eventually it through a p760 code which is the trans solenoid, I reset it, drained & filled the trans, drove it over 800 miles. a day or so later I started it up and drove it without warming it up, 12 miles later it smoked the trans.. 132k miles on it, never an issue always good maintenance and trans fluid always clean & full. If you hear that whining noise at start up I wouldn't drive it, get the solenoid replaced.. Back on the road with a used trans..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Micamry, that is Interesting. Mine was 2002 also and had exactly the same symptoms, it was fine after warm and I did get solenoid code once. However, noise went away after replacing filter. I got to admit that I have only put a couple hundred miles since my original al post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts