Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unbelievable!!!!
Just after 24k miles on a 3 ys old camry, it now needs new tires. The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 -t (came as OEM)are loosing threads and almost bald by now. Could you folks please suggest me which tires I should buy again? I live in Madison, WI.
Thanks-
Ric

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Yeah, I'm surprised they lasted you that long. Look into michelin, and toyo for some long lasting tires.

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,267 Posts
What kinda driving do you do? As well, what's your budget? Do you care about performance big time, or moreso longevity of the tires? There's a ton of tires out there made for specific purposes, so you have a lot of choices.

I personally love Toyos, I'm riding on Proxes TPT, which are labelled as performance all seasons. Michelins in general are nice and comfy tires, but are usually more expensive then the other brands. Check out our tire thread for reviews...and check out tirerack.com as well.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12173

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More info.

Silver Streak:
We do mostly city driving, about 8k/yr or so, and once a month a 300 mile hwy ride. I'm looking for all season tires that are above average on snow as well. The different types of tires and all these informations, as I read on iternet, is really overwhelming. My budget for new tires are $500. I am looking into Bridgestone Turanza. Any feedback on that?
In any case, I'm terribly disappointed with Camry. I am checking out reviews on tires right now and Potenza 92 has received the worst reviews so far. Can you believe local Sears store gave me estimate of $450 for new potenza 92? Oh well...thanks for your time.
-Ric

·
Lurker Supreme
66 Posts
Yea the Potenzas I thought were put on as performance tires. I only have 12,000 Miles on mine and I drive hard so I've been thinking about getting new tires. I was thinking about the new Goodyear Assurance tires anyone tried these yet? 80,000 Mile Warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes MIghty-Mart....

Rotated tires every 7.5k with scheduled oil change service. In the last service I had alignment checked and found that car was out of alignment slightly but technician insisted that it wasn't bad enough to make tires wear out that fast.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
bridgestones potenza's on my solara with 22K miles were BALD (w/ balancing/rotation every 3K miles) and alignment every 4 months (yeah, i've got a lifetime package).

Edit: WOOT for another madcity folk here....(mesa a badger alum from uwmad). You need good gripping SNOW tires; farm & fleet had good prices and good brands in madison (from when i lived there).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jb,

so what did you get for your solora? I'm still thinking about all season rather than snow ones for us because average snow fall is not that high, its cold weather that we have to live up with for half of year!!

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Re: jb,

rickmadison said:
so what did you get for your solora? I'm still thinking about all season rather than snow ones for us because average snow fall is not that high, its cold weather that we have to live up with for half of year!!
I'm not in houston...i got allseason el chepo walmart brand (DOuglas Performance) tires....for the past 35K miles, they have been good, and i think they will last another 5-10K miles before i replace them.

·
OLD TN dude
62 Posts
Heard that the Goodyear assurance tires were quieter than Michelin with a lower price and similar wear rating.....
MCTOY

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have an 02 Camry with the potensas just about bald. I went to tire rack and have selected the Yokohamas VBS. My bud at the dealer will get them for me at wholesale. next week. I've got only 20700 on the current Bridgestones. Second choise for me are the Bridgestone Turanzas. I'm staying with my V-rated tires.

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
HaHa, dont feel bad. 10 months into having my brand new Altima, I desperately needed tires as 3 of the 4 were losing air and slowly blowing out on me... What type of stock tires did the 02 Camry's come with ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone...

for your thoughts on new tires. I'm still "undecided"(!) on this tire issue. Lets see. I still would like to rant about why in the world a 3 yr old camry should require new tires except the fact that Toyota itself choose the al chepo ones to begin with...what a shame!! Anyway better concentrate energy on getting new ones..
Thank you folks for your time.
-Ric

·
Mighty Flying Family Sedn
Camry
510 Posts
lifetime fan of michelin...

isn't bridgestone = firestone? Could that be why their quality sucks?

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
Sharky3 said:
Bridgestone Potenzas
Oh thats why, my Altima came stock with Bridgestone Turanza's and I think they are the worst tires ever made...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts