Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Im trying
2002 Toyota Camry
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been researching this a lot and can't find the answer to my question, just a bunch of answers to similar ones, so my situation might be unique or i just couldn't find it.
my steering wheel and ignition locked up 2 days ago and i have tried everything to fix them
i'm not stupid so plz don't post the obvious solutions to the problem because i have tried those. i tried turning the wheel and the ignition at the same time, tried the brakes, tried shifting gears and anything else i could think of. i think the problem might be with the ignition coils, or multiple ones, but i have bypassed that by hot-wiring the car(which was a pain because of all the antitheft features). so i have the car running now and it is almost drivable except the steering wheel is locked up. i need to know how to fix this, i have read plenty on it and i think i can break a pin that locks the steering wheel to make it work, but i don't know where this pin is(might be behind the ignitions, or attached to it somewhere). if i could do this without breaking anything that would be great, but if the car will run, i'm ok with it begin broken, because i already hot-wired it so i'm not worried about breaking anything unless it will make the car not run.
i wish i could just take it to a locksmith to fix it, but don't have any money right now.

if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated and if u need anymore clarification let me know, but i want to get this fixed asap

Thanks for the help in advance

·
Press hard, four copies!
2004 Camry LE Ltd Ed
989 Posts
I found this post on removing ignition cylinder on 2002 Tundra. I do not know if it is same procedure for your Camry, but it may be a start. If you can move steering wheel with the lock cylinder removed, you may be able to determine what locks the wheel. You may also be able to have a locksmith look at/fix the cylinder or even purchase a new one if yours is damaged. Yes, I read that $$ is tight, I am just trying to put ideas out there. HTH

·
Im trying
2002 Toyota Camry
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yeah man, its a start, i'm doing everything i can to fix tis car, and any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

just looked at it, and its the same problem with all those post, i can't turn the key, i think either the key is messed up, or an ignition coil is bad(which is apparently a common problem with this car) so i have to figure out to remove the ignition without turning the key. or if there is an easier or better way to fix the steering wheel locks that would be great

·
Im trying
2002 Toyota Camry
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think that is what broke in the first place that wouldn't let me turn the key, that or the key broke, but now i just need to get the ignition off so i can get to the steering wheel lock. i'm not worried about breaking the ignition, since i hot-wired the car and don't need it, so i think i'll just hammer a screwdriver in it and force it to turn, that might unlock the steering wheel, but if not i can just take the ignition off and remove the pin that is holding the wheel in place

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've been researching this a lot and can't find the answer to my question, just a bunch of answers to similar ones, so my situation might be unique or i just couldn't find it.
my steering wheel and ignition locked up 2 days ago and i have tried everything to fix them
i'm not stupid so plz don't post the obvious solutions to the problem because i have tried those. i tried turning the wheel and the ignition at the same time, tried the brakes, tried shifting gears and anything else i could think of. i think the problem might be with the ignition coils, or multiple ones, but i have bypassed that by hot-wiring the car(which was a pain because of all the antitheft features). so i have the car running now and it is almost drivable except the steering wheel is locked up. i need to know how to fix this, i have read plenty on it and i think i can break a pin that locks the steering wheel to make it work, but i don't know where this pin is(might be behind the ignitions, or attached to it somewhere). if i could do this without breaking anything that would be great, but if the car will run, i'm ok with it begin broken, because i already hot-wired it so i'm not worried about breaking anything unless it will make the car not run.
i wish i could just take it to a locksmith to fix it, but don't have any money right now.

if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated and if u need anymore clarification let me know, but i want to get this fixed asap

Thanks for the help in advance
Mine locked up too both steering wheel and ignition. I tried and tried everything online, got frustrated tried later. Someone else tried. I went back and tries again bc I knew itd happened before. I took my foot off brake pedal and it unlocked and key turned right away. But after I turned car off, and tried starting again, key didn't want to turn. So, not sure if its due to cylinder, which I've replaced few years back or what. Wheel didn't lock up this time tho

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
602 Posts
Here's your answer:
"How to Replace or Fix an Ignition Lock Cylinder to Unlock Steering Wheel - With or Without a Key"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts