Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm new to this forum and I'm in need of help on my gf's car. I changed all of the brakes on her car yesterday, test drove it, everything was great. Put close to 100 miles on it w/ no issues. Therefore, I don't think it's anything I did.

Here's the problem: this morning, on her way to work, the CEL came on. The car has a rough-ish idle, and jerks slightly in low RPM. I went to Pep Boys and got it read. it threw 8 codes:
P0171
P1130
P0300
P0301
P0303
P0305
P0442

From what i've read, the p0171 is the system is running too lean and p0442 is a leak somewhere. The 300s are cyl misfires.

I don't want to go replacing every conceivable part. Does anyone have a clue what these codes mean in conjunction?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a quick update. I disconnected the neg terminal for a few min to clear the codes and cleaned a few of the connectors near the air filter with electrical connector cleaner. When I hooked everything back up, the car won't run. It'll start but the RPMs drop and it shuts off. The idle is way too low and the engine dies. I tried driving it but it dies.

·
Registered
2015 Toyota Camry
680 Posts
Until the experts get here, how many miles on your 2002 Camry? I'm assuming you have a 6 cylinder????

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Never a good idea to reset/clear the ecu via the neg battery terminal amidst problems. The ecu had calibrated itself to run in a bad state, you erased that, and unfortunately a couple days of drive cycles is the only way to get it to re-learn.

Those errors range from fuel trim to misfires. When there's that many codes I reach for the gas cap. Is it loose? bad? then head for shorts and vacuum leaks. Follow the coil wires around, pull a plug. Everything ok? When you did the brakes did you bleed them or squeeze the fluid back into the cylinder? Check it, did it overflow? Look for disconnected vacuum hoses or an air cleaner thats not tight. Pull the air intake and look at the TB. How dirty is it? Has the TB ever been cleaned? any fuel system cleaner ever been used? Oil burner? Whats the oil level?

Those are some suggestions where to start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The plugs were replaced about 10k miles ago. Full tuneup was done. Water pump, new belts, etc. Only thing that wasn't changed was the "fuel filter", but it should never need to be changed in these cars. Speaking of which, I tried to access the fuel pump today to see how dirty the strainer was, but the phillips screws holding it in are fairly rusted and I couldn't get them out with a hand screw driver. The only impact gun I have is electric and I didn't think it was smart using a power tool near gas vapors.

Also, what's the quickest/easiest way to get to the rear fuel rail? Remove the full intake manifold?

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,350 Posts
I would start by looking for a fairly large vacuum leak around bank #1 (clys.1,3,5). The 0171 system lean could be cause a lean mis-fire, 0300(random) 0301, 0303, 0305 (cyl. 1, 3, 5) I would almost bet a vacuum leak is causing all these.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would start by looking for a fairly large vacuum leak around bank #1 (clys.1,3,5). The 0171 system lean could be cause a lean mis-fire, 0300(random) 0301, 0303, 0305 (cyl. 1, 3, 5) I would almost bet a vacuum leak is causing all these.
I sprayed some carb cleaner around the cylinders and some of the hoses, didn't change the idle. W/o a smoke machine, not sure if I can really find a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So whats happening now? were you able to start it? Status of CEL?
So here's where I'm at now:

When the engine is cold (has not run in a few hours), it starts up just fine, idles fine, etc. CEL is still on though. However, as the car warms up, the idle gets lower and it gets closer to shutting off.

Right now I'm waiting for the A/F sensor to come (should be here on the 28th), and I'll try with that.

For now, I'll have to remain carless since the gf took my car :headbang:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I replaced the one that was all the way in the front, the one that could be easily seen if looking down at by the fan. Is that bank 1 or bank 2?
thats bank 2, according to your codes you're having problems with bank 1, if you still have the old sensor that you took out I'd use it to replace the one next to the firewall/windshield and see if it makes any difference, until you get a new one, it's kind of tight in there and you might need an extra hand at times and a lot of patience, I did it by myself from the top, others do it from the bottom - so its doable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.