Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried searching this up, and all I got were the 3-4 flares for the Gen 6 Camrys. The problem I have isn't that.

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry, with a 2AZ, automatic. When moving at about 5-10mph or so (without pressing on the gas pedal, coasting), and then pressing down to accelerate, the transmission seems to flare and jerk the car.

I would almost describe the feel as the transmission is engaging first gear for less than a second, before dropping into second.

The harder I press the gas pedal, the more pronounced this flare is. Is there some sort of problem with the transmission? Or is this because of the DBW? This one issue is making me hate driving the car, as I frequently encounter these circumstances.

What would cause the transmission to do something like this? Software issue? Is there some sort of TSB out for this? I tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery, that didn't seem to help.

The Gen6 4cyl auto that my parents drive does not do this.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to say that sometimes the 2-3 shift, and the 1-2 shift, take about a second to shift. The RPM's pause while the car shifts, and although smooth, feels way too long and sloppy. Would there be anyway to adjust the shifting?
I know there is no kickdown cable on the DBW...

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
It's 7-8 years old now. How many miles on it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has 111k mi on it. Fluid is just starting to turn purple, should get that changed soon.

However, I used to own a 1996 Camry with 225k, and it shifted better than this.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
I tried searching this up, and all I got were the 3-4 flares for the Gen 6 Camrys. The problem I have isn't that.

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry, with a 2AZ, automatic. When moving at about 5-10mph or so (without pressing on the gas pedal, coasting), and then pressing down to accelerate, the transmission seems to flare and jerk the car.

I would almost describe the feel as the transmission is engaging first gear for less than a second, before dropping into second.

The harder I press the gas pedal, the more pronounced this flare is. Is there some sort of problem with the transmission? Or is this because of the DBW? This one issue is making me hate driving the car, as I frequently encounter these circumstances.

What would cause the transmission to do something like this? Software issue? Is there some sort of TSB out for this? I tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery, that didn't seem to help.

The Gen6 4cyl auto that my parents drive does not do this.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to say that sometimes the 2-3 shift, and the 1-2 shift, take about a second to shift. The RPM's pause while the car shifts, and although smooth, feels way too long and sloppy. Would there be anyway to adjust the shifting?
I know there is no kickdown cable on the DBW...
I assume you checked that the tranny fluid level is correct and you checked it under normal operating temperature (ie car drive a few miles) and while the engine is running. Properly fluid level is critical.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
I did, and it was perfectly intact. No ripping or cracks or anything.

and I checked they transmission fluid level as well, it's okay I think, but maybe just a bit low.
When checking the fluid level, you need to ensure the engine is warm.
1. drive the car for a few miles
2. put the car in Park
3. Have the engine running
4. Run through all the gears, R, D, 2, 1, etc
5> Put it in Park (engine still running)
6. Check the fluid level. Fluid level needs to be in the HOT level.

Fluid level is critical!!!

Also, when was the last time you changed the Tranny fluid. Most tranny failur are caused by lack of fluid, too much fluid, or dirty fluid. The 2002 doesnt have any history of tranny problems, so i would start with checkign the fluid levels and quality of the fluild

If it's been 2 years or more, change the fluid.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just encountered an unusual circumstance today...

I was running out of gas, so I filled up full, and the "flaring" went away. I'll see if it comes back when the car's empty again.

Funny I never noticed this before...

·
Altima_shift
'01 Altima
93 Posts
If you decide to do a tranny fluid change, I'd recommend Royal Purple Max ATF, it's a good synthetic.. I'm going to be switching it in my own car soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just encountered an unusual circumstance today...

I was running out of gas, so I filled up full, and the "flaring" went away. I'll see if it comes back when the car's empty again.

Funny I never noticed this before...
Maybe your transmission's a bit dirty inside, which would explain your intermittent jerk - change the fluid, it is easy, exactly like doing an oil change. Just be sure to use only Toyota TIV fluid you cannot substitute Dexron or any other kind on 2002year Camry.

TIV is $5 a qt and you can only get it at the dealer. A simple fluid change without dropping the pan requires a 10mm male hex socket and exactly 3 qts of fluid to refill to the correct level.

If you decide to drop the pan (i usually dont as every time i have done so the strainer is still clean) you will need a gasket but probably not a filter, mine uses a metal strainer that can be cleaned, not a gauze filter like most other kinds of cars.

I have a 2002 V6 and i changed my fluid a couple months ago with some other valvoline kind that said "T IV compatible" and it is working fine. A couple dollars cheaper per quart too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the past, I've changed the transmission fluid by draining it out through the cooling lines while simultaneously filling it up through the dipstick tube. Usually replaces about 10 quarts or so, so a much better alternative than the 3 from the drain and fill.

Would that work for the 2002 transmission as well?
This would make things a whole lot easier, as I plan on installing a auxiliary transmission cooler during the fluid change.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
In the past, I've changed the transmission fluid by draining it out through the cooling lines while simultaneously filling it up through the dipstick tube. Usually replaces about 10 quarts or so, so a much better alternative than the 3 from the drain and fill.

This would make things a whole lot easier, as I plan on installing a auxiliary transmission cooler during the fluid change.
Cooling lines? Do you have a different method. Whatever you are doing does not seem to be the correct procedure. You basically, unscrew the drain bolt and let it drain for about 30 minutes. Once done, screw the bolt back on. fill with new tranny fluid, and check fluid level as mentioned before.

The way you do it sounds like you are changing brake fluid.

Where did you get the procedure from? Was it from a Toyota manual? Maybe the way you do it is causing air to getting the system or whatever but I've never heard this process before. You need to be very careful when changing tranny fluid and not to come up with your own method. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never heard of this method.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Maybe your transmission's a bit dirty inside, which would explain your intermittent jerk - change the fluid, it is easy, exactly like doing an oil change. Just be sure to use only Toyota TIV fluid you cannot substitute Dexron or any other kind on 2002year Camry.

TIV is $5 a qt and you can only get it at the dealer. A simple fluid change without dropping the pan requires a 10mm male hex socket and exactly 3 qts of fluid to refill to the correct level.

If you decide to drop the pan (i usually dont as every time i have done so the strainer is still clean) you will need a gasket but probably not a filter, mine uses a metal strainer that can be cleaned, not a gauze filter like most other kinds of cars.

I have a 2002 V6 and i changed my fluid a couple months ago with some other valvoline kind that said "T IV compatible" and it is working fine. A couple dollars cheaper per quart too.
Wow, that is a bit risky. I always use Toyota, it's not worth the risk. Tranny repairs are just too expensive to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update, and a couple more questions...

I still haven't had time to change the transmission fluid (car was in the body shop), but i did realize something:

The transmission, when it surges, is engaging first gear for a split second before switching to second. I realized this when I heard the first gear whine during a less pronounced surge. Since my car is a 2002, the first year of the gen 5, is it possible that there is a software update that would change the shift logic of the car, so it doesn't start out in first when moving at speed?

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Just an update, and a couple more questions...

I still haven't had time to change the transmission fluid (car was in the body shop), but i did realize something:

The transmission, when it surges, is engaging first gear for a split second before switching to second. I realized this when I heard the first gear whine during a less pronounced surge. Since my car is a 2002, the first year of the gen 5, is it possible that there is a software update that would change the shift logic of the car, so it doesn't start out in first when moving at speed?

I have a 2002 as well but no abnormal shifting. But read this article:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2002-to-2006-toyota-camry-2.htm

Having said all this, I think you should start with the basics, change the fluid, and what is the process you are using to change the tranny fluid. I honestly think that might be the cause of the problem. You shouldnt be changing tranny fluid from the cooling lines??? You may be introducing air bubbles or whatever it is. The tranny valve body is very sensitive. Just drain the fluid from the drain hole at the bottom, simple. And this is the correct procedure.

How long have you had this car for? If you had it for awhile and it only started doing this, then its not likely the software or control module, unless it all of sudden gone wonky, which is not likely. More likely, this is a mechanical problem. If it was like this since day one, then it would definitely (or very likely) software.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I have a couple of questions about this procedure. How long does it take before you start to see fresh new fluid coming out of the return line? Also do you just start the engine and let it idle or do you have to engage the transmission in order to get the fluid to circulate?

This procedure should swap most if not all your transmission fluid whereas the drain and refill will only replace a 3rd.

·
イリジウム
13,823 Posts
After that many miles the pan should be dropped and cleaned. The strainer might as well be replaced. You can add Toyota T-IV, which is a re-labled conventional Mobil 3309 ATF. Or you can use the new formulation of Mobil-1 fully synthetic ATF. Read the label for applications.

The U-241E transmission has a design flaw in the fluid circuit. The transmission always had shudder problems that Toyota couldn't fix with software. Of course they couldn't -- it's a hardware problem. A few years later they had to junk that design and go with the U-250E transmission.

The 241E had a poorly designed fluid circuit that reacts badly to centrifugal force. Something about emptying and refilling of some circuit against centrifugal force. I've not been a fan of the newer U-series transmissions. Aisin should have stuck with Borg Warner and get more reliable transmissions like the older A series.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts