Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 XLE with less than 40k miles. I took it to 2 different dealers and they claim they cannot replicate the problem, but it still happens. If I am cruising around 50 MPH (give or take a few MPH) and the car needs to upshift or downshift, it will shake or buck a little. It doesn't do it always, but frequently. 2 times it did it so violantly that the entire car and passengers shook. Most of the times, only the driver can feel it and it doesn't last long. I found a bulletin and took it to one of dealers and showed it to him and even then I had to argue with him. They then said they found and installed a software upgrade for the transmission. My wife tells me it still does it on occasion. Any suggestions?

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
I have a 2002 XLE with less than 40k miles. I took it to 2 different dealers and they claim they cannot replicate the problem, but it still happens. If I am cruising around 50 MPH (give or take a few MPH) and the car needs to upshift or downshift, it will shake or buck a little. It doesn't do it always, but frequently. 2 times it did it so violantly that the entire car and passengers shook. Most of the times, only the driver can feel it and it doesn't last long. I found a bulletin and took it to one of dealers and showed it to him and even then I had to argue with him. They then said they found and installed a software upgrade for the transmission. My wife tells me it still does it on occasion. Any suggestions?

1. How long have you had this car?
2. Did only just started happening?
3. I would assume you have checked the tranny fluid level

If it just started happening and you had the car for awhile, I doubt it's the software. Software is not going to behave differently after a few years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it at the end of 2002 from the dealer with 8k miles on it and it started doing this on and off almost 4 years ago.

I did not check the fluid because I assumed they did that at both the dealerships and the quick oil change shop that I take i to. Now that I think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if they did not, so I will tonight.

Are you suggesting that a low fluid level may be the cause?

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
I bought it at the end of 2002 from the dealer with 8k miles on it and it started doing this on and off almost 4 years ago.

I did not check the fluid because I assumed they did that at both the dealerships and the quick oil change shop that I take i to. Now that I think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if they did not, so I will tonight.

Are you suggesting that a low fluid level may be the cause?

Ouch, it's been like this for 4 years.

I'm suggesting check all the obvious things first. In other words, all the things you can check yourself. To check the tranny fluid level, you need to have the engine in normal operating temperature, so drive it a few miles. Then park the car with engine running, shift through all the gears, put it back to Park, open the hood while engine is still running, and check the fluid level.

Have you changed or checked the tranny fluid since you bought the car??? If not, change it, regardless if this fixes your problem or not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds like engine or transmission. Here is what i would do.
1. Clean throttle body. Dirty same will Cause idle and low speed problems. A minor yet well known weak link. Very easy to fix.
2. Did you change your ATF lately? Whether you have or not, change it and use Toyota TIV (my V6 uses TIV but use whatever your dipstick says). A change with no dropping the pan (usually i dont bother!) requires exactly 3 qts of fluid. I had changed mine with valvoline TIV compatible and have had no problems (but might be worth a try to change it back).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts