Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to need a new set of tires for the Corolla. The current tires are fairly worn and I have a feeling the wheels are slightly bent because there's vibrations above 60 mph (even after having them balanced).

So I'm thinking this would be a good time to get a fresh set of wheels AND tires.

What are the specs for the stock wheels? 14x6? ET? Weight?

I'll probably go with a 15x6.5" ET 38 wheel and put some 195/50/15 falken ziex 912s. Does this sound reasonable? I read that some people here recommend 195/55/15s, but the rolling diameter of 195/50/15 happens to be closer to the rolling diameter of the stock 175/65/14s.

A few new wheel/tire packages from Discount Tire Direct go for $500-$550 shipped and include hub centric rings and new lug nuts. I shopped around for used stuff locally, but I didn't come across anything worth buying.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,451 Posts
The stock steelie is 14x5.5, ~+45 and ~15lbs.
My favorite is Kosei K1 TS, 14x6, +38, 9.3lbs (!). Tire Rack carries them.
Next is what I have, Konig Helium, 15x6.5", +40, ~10.6lbs.
It won't be easy to find aftermarket wheels at 15x6" or narrower. At 16" you're looking at 16x7" which I am not going to touch.

For a 15" go 195/55/15. It's a match to the LE size of 185/65/14 and I don't think the speedo is any different between CE and LE.

I have Ziex 912 at 195/55/15 on Helium... well it's fine, I can corner at 50km/h, it survives snowy winter, on long stretches of highway I can break 6.0L/100km... does what a good tire should do.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
The Falken ZE912's are all season tires.

Better tires can be had for similar money in the high performance summer tire segment if you have dedicated winter tires already.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I should've said in my original post these are for year round driving (hence the all season tire choice). I don't need the lightest wheel out there, but I also didn't want to go significantly more weight than stock.

Buurin, I like the K1s, but just need something cheap for the corolla in this case. I may even go with a set of 14x5.5 wheels if that's the stock size. The only reason I'm replacing the wheels is because I suspect they are bent or no longer round.

I haven't purchased a set of all season tires in a long time. I read the reviews on TireRack for the 912s and they seem OK.

I've been through plenty of sets of wheels/tires on my STI so I'm no stranger to dedicated performance tires and dedicated winter setups. Currently running 5Zigen FN10R-Cs 17x9 w/ 245/45/17 Bridgestone RE01Rs as my autocross/track setup on that car. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After some more research I'm probably going to order the following package from TireRack:

- 14x6 ET38 Sport Edition D5s (13.2 lbs)
- 185/65/14 Yokohama AVID Touring S tires

The tires got great reviews (for an all season touring tire) and will serve their purpose on the corolla.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I like my SE D5's with General Evertrek HP's. 195/60R 14. General Evertrek HP is a strange Canadian Tire only tire but is similar to the Altimax HP.

Since you're in the US, take a look at the General Altimax HP tires in 195/60R 14. nice wide tire and in between the height of the 175/R65 and 185/65R. Also not too heavy, has good overall reviews and ratings and is good in wet. I have snow tires, so I don't know what these are like in snow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the steelies are straight (confirmed by a tire shop) so I just ended up ordering some Dunlop SP60s to fit. They should be installed next week. The shop will check the alignment after installation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The new tires are on!

The alignment was out a bit, so I had that done as well. The thumping appears to be gone so I'm very happy about that. I was wrong about the wheel bearing. :)

I bought the 175/65/14 Dunlop SP60s online through justtires.com and had the Just Tires shop down the street do the work. There was a $25 coupon online for buying 4 tires, $40 coupon in the store for buying dunlops, and $10 coupon online for the alignment. Buying them online vs in the store saved another ~$60. So in total I ended up saving about $135!

The price of the tires themselves was comparable to Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct prices (which I found surprising). Usually the markup at these local chains (Merchants, NTB, Just Tires, etc) is extremely high. For a budget all season tire they got excellent reviews.

If anyone cares I'll post a review of the tires after getting some substantial mileage on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts