Toyota Nation Forum banner

2002 Corolla Clunking in Front

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TOYOPARTSMAN 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Corolla with a clunk in the front end. I assumed it was the suspension, but I am not so sure... It clunks over bumps, unless I accelerate before I hit the bump, then it is quiet. It does not clunk at speeds over 40 mph or so. I noticed that if I am easing forward with my foot on the brake and I get to that point where the engine starts to shudder, it will clunk like crazy at a even pace. I also noticed that it will not clunk unless the car is moving, not if the engine is shaking and standing still. I looked at all the motor mounts and seem to look good. I put a stethascope on them with the engine running and they are quiet. I also checked all the common areas, end link, stabalizer bar bushing and all seem tight. Any suggestions before I start taking a stab in the dark? Thanks for your help.
-John

#4 ·
The little triangle block on top of the rear motor mount rusted off on my 98. It made a hell of a clunk when the engine shuddered on startup. My car was an automatic so the engine never shuddered when slowing down, only on startup. My fix was to reach down with my little "grabber" tool and pull the triangle block out from between the engine side and frame side of the motor mount. The rubber of my mounts still appeared to be in good shape.

Here is a pic that shows the triangle block:
http://budgetparts.com.au/images/WST0082 Corolla 1.8 R AT 98-00.jpg

#6 ·
corolla front clunking

I replaced the strut today, it definately seems to be in the suspension somewhere. wheel bearings are good, motor mounts are good. Stabalizer end links and bar bushing are good. I also checked the steering rack bushing and tie rod ends, both good. I am running out of ideas. the clunk seems to be coming from underneath the car around the steering rack/ transmission area. anyone else have ideas?
-john

#9 · (Edited)
have you checked the bushing on the rack? how about the stabilezer bar links? lower control arm has bushings in it, did you check those? bALL JOINTS?

When you replaced the struts, did you check or replace the strut mounts?

CV joint usually would make a sound when you are turning not going straight, but not seeing the car, I would never rule anything out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.