Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I drove my corolla all day today with no probs, then this evening on starting it was just revving up to 2000 and down, up and down constantly on its own. It was like driving with my foot constantly on the gas. After about 2 mins the engine just cut out. I restarted, same problem. Left it 15 mins and it was fine.
Last week I had new battery and alternator belt. A few weeks ago I had the coolant flushed and replaced. No other work recently.
I want to keep it but I also don't want to spend a fortune diagnosing the problem. Does anyone have any ideas please? :)

·
2002 corolla ce
1,458 Posts
I'm not a big fan of coinsidence battery was a straightforward fix they just go bad but why did you do the coolant?due or reason for it? My bet says you have a vacuum leak check any and all hoses to ensure they are tight. Maybe one was nudged when the coolant was flushed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying! The coolant just needed doing, I had no heating and that was my first stop. I'm clueless (can you tell?) but wanted to have a bit of an idea before I get anyone else to touch it.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,052 Posts
You should inspect your intake manifold gasket. Is your intake manifold plastic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know literally nothing, I was hoping someone might tell me it's a common fault... The mechanic came yesterday and couldn't find a fault. The car is running perfectly now, typical.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,052 Posts
When the engine hunts, this is when the engine Huff's and puffs, or it surges. Surging is when the engine's rpm goes higher as it idles.

This is related to vacuum.

It's possible, that when you were changing the battery, a hose was knocked loose. Double check your work. Is the check engine light on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the engine hunts, this is when the engine Huff's and puffs, or it surges. Surging is when the engine's rpm goes higher as it idles.

This is related to vacuum.

It's possible, that when you were changing the battery, a hose was knocked loose. Double check your work. Is the check engine light on?
The engine lights are all fine and it seems to be running perfectly now. The mechanic checked the car over yesterday and couldn't find any faults, including loose connections. It's a mystery, hopefully it won't happen again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts