Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 2002 Corolla and it seems to run quite rough.
Especially in the morning, but generally at all times. This morning on the way to work I thought the trucks around me were noisy, but when I turned off the radio I realized it was the Corolla running like a diesel truck :(. I don't feel it is abused either, the average RPM range is maybe 2800 rpm and very occasionally when passing 4500 RPM, the VVTI is nice on the postive side though :).

In addition, when breaking the car vibrates/shakes a lot. It also makes annoying sounds at high speeds, I suspect this is likely warped rotors or something? If so, would this be covered under warranty?

It does get regularly servicing from the local Toyota dealership and the oil change is not due until August now.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with it?

p.s. I have test driven 98-2002 Corolla's and a number of them were running quite rough/noisily in my opinion and originally my Corolla didn't do this.

If anyone can offer some advice it would be appreciated :rolleyes: ;) :D

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
the shaking while braking is most likely the rotors...and i know my 01 ran rough as hell till i had the transmission fluid flushed and replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I'll have the fluids changed and hopefully that will solve the problem although I believe this was recently done.

Does this mean that my dealership didn't notice this when they should have? I have noticed that the shift, especially between Park and Drive is very rough and abrupt.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
that's almost definitely the tranny fluid. this particular change is something that you have to request, i've noticed...else they probably won't do it. do it now and save your tranny in the long run.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Brake pulsations on a 02 should be covered by 3/36 warranty. As for as the tranny fluid causing a vibration, well i've never seen it. You havent bottomed out the car lately? Possibly banging the exhaust? any body work lately? Sounds like a motor mount or something.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
hossy - you may not have heard of that issue(i wouldn't call it shaking, per se...the car shifts gears very roughly)...but it's viable and proven in more than just my corolla...i have a friend who owns a shop, and he has said that the most common occurrance of rough shifting in auto transmissions and transaxles has to do with the fluid needing a flush and change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts