Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horn doesn't work consistently. Problem started about 6 months ago. Airbag never been deployed. Never wrecked the car. No liquids ever spilled on steering wheel. There is nothing that could be identified as a precipitating event.

·
JNEG
83 Posts
If the connections are secure, just get an aftermarket horn (I got a PIAA) at Autozone or NAPA and plug and play- simple and inexpensive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The connections to the horn itself are known to degrade and disconnect on these cars.
I have seen it several times in the limited number of echos I have worked on. Just recrimp it and cover it with electrical tape or heat shrink wrap if that is the problem.

Or get a better horn :p. I think it would be funny to put a big manly old school domestic horn on an echo :)

·
Registered
2005 Corolla
532 Posts
Possible horn relay? Try swapping out with a silimar relay in the relay box to see if thats the cause.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine doesn't work either

Not the fuse. Ohmed out the relay and it was bad. Replaced it and tried the horn and it worked. couple hours later I drove the car up the street and tried the horn again and the horn was out again. Got home and ohmed out the relay again and it is bad. Something is blowing the relay....any ideas out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My horn in a 2000 (same style) is out as well.
Mine was shorting/grounding out (not sure which) where a little plastic pin pins the horn wiring to the front bumper reinforcement bar.

The cable had worn there a little bit (through the insulation) and the horn cable was touching the bumper bar. Not sure if something like this could be happening on yours?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts